Possible Fin Rot

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Cadvan, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Cadvan

CadvanNew MemberMember

To give some background, I got my betta just over 2 weeks ago, have had the tank for a little over a month. I started a fishless cycle with pure ammonia, but soon after the ammonia started dropping I went ahead and got my halfmoon betta, Casper (I know, he's not white). About a week later I got ghost shrimp, of which 3 are peacefully (to my knowledge) living in the tank with him. The tank is now at 0-0-0, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I've done several large water changes since I got him while the cycle finished. The tank is a 3 gallon cube with a betta hammock, cave, another decoration, an anubias, a java fern, and a marimo moss ball. I am guessing the plants are causing the nitrates to be nonexistant. The filter is lowered to create no surface movement, though I just added a bubbler with an air restrictor to keep it minimal, because there seems to be a protein layer on the surface of the water.

Anyways, Casper's fins have always been red going to clear then black around the edges. His top fin has been getting more and more tattered, and the bottom one is just on the very edge as well, though it does not seem to be affecting his tail. He also seems to have a white string like thing on one of his bottom fins. Both things have been getting slowly worse, though they seem noticeably worse today. I've been taking advise from a friend of mine who has several bettas, and he seems to think the fin getting that tattered look is just it growing. Casper doesn't keep his fins clammed up but fans them out often. Does he have fin rot or something else that I need to start treating? Would aquarium salt hurt the plants I have? I only have the one tank to use.

0803171715c.jpg0803171716.jpg0803171716a.jpg

2. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

He looks normal to me! Just like he might have some crowntail genes that are expressing in his dorsal fin.

3. OP
    OP
    Cadvan

CadvanNew MemberMember

Interesting, okay thanks. The spikiness wasn't nearly as pronounced when I got him, so I was worried I was seeing the early stages of fin rot.

4. chibijeanbean17

chibijeanbean17New MemberMember

He looks great! Showing some crowntail genes as mentioned above, also, don't be alarmed if/when those back rays on his dorsal start to curl, that just means the fin is growing. Best wishes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice