Possible fin rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by kellyiswicked, Dec 20, 2012.

1. kellyiswicked

kellyiswicked Valued Member Member

Hello everyone! I think I may have a case of fin rot in my tank. I noticed yesterday that one of the black ruby barbs's tail fin had a blackish edge to it. It almost looks like it had been burned and is starting to fray. I did a little research and it sounded like fin rot. The research said it was often accompanied by white dots, and when I looked at the troops again one of the other barbs seems to have white dots on his tail.
    I got really confused with my research, since it seemed like there were two versions of fin rot, bacterial and fungal. Since these two fish seem to have different symptoms, do they have different fin rot? I am obviously looking for an answer to how to treat it. The only issue is I do not have a quarantine tank, since three days ago I had to utilize my backup tank for another fish and it's no longer available. In addition, I'm leaving for my parents tomorrow for Christmas. I'll be gone nine days. My boyfriend will be able to stop by once during that time period to check up on our tanks, but that's it. I'm a little concerned with how I'm going to treat my fish.

My parameters are: 78F, 7.6pH, .10 (estimate) ammonia, .00 nitrite, .05 nitrate as of right now. Haven't done their regular water change yet today.
    Also, could this have been a result of my heater breaking? It stopped working but I didn't notice right away because I was in the process of setting up in a new house, so the tank water was probably at 66-68F for a day or two.

Thanks so much everyone!

2. OP
    OP
    kellyiswicked

No one online has any experience with fish rot?

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It's possible but do you have any pictures of it. It might be helpful with some of the people here.

Usually with fin rot I start changing water. Or you can look up medication to use.

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You really didn't give people enough time to answer.

My first thought is that your tank is not cycled. The effects of that are detrimental to your fish's health and the most common cause of fin rot seems to be poor water quality. Are you using the liquid test or strips? The strips are terribly unreliable.

The usual treatment is daily water changes for pristine water, a cycled tank, and maybe some vita chem and kordon fish protector or seachem stress guard. A secondary help may be an antibacterial treatment; Maracyn 1 and 2 used at the same time seems to be helpful, and will not damage your beneficial bacteria like some treatments can.

5. OP
    OP
    kellyiswicked

Thanks for the answers - the reason I was so anxious was I was on a tight clock before leaving the area for over a week. As it turns out, none of the barbs have died, but I think the unstable water conditions came from the big move a few weeks ago. Even though we took most of the water with us, we couldn't take all of it. Additionally, random outlet outages have been turning off the filters and heaters without our knowledge - the lack of heaters caused two betta fatalities in the last few days.

Once I get back on New Year's Eve, I'll continue doing regular water changes and purchase some of the things that were suggested. Hopefully they'll recover and I'll be able to continue stocking their tank. Thank you again!

6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Hope it works out for you!

7. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

Fin rot is typically a sign of bad water quality, regular water changes have always worked for me. The white specks you mentioned, does it look like the fish is sprinkled with salt? I'd keep an eye on the white specks, could be Ich & if it is you'll want to treat that with a temp of 86F & frequent water changes with a good vacuuming.

8. OP
    OP
    kellyiswicked

I agree about the bad water quality, since I found out that my outlets had been going out - that included the tank's heater and filter. I can imagine that a few stints of no filter send the water quality down the drain.

I compared the white spots to pictures of ich and it looks nothing like it. Ich seems more salty and grainy, as you said, but these are distinct, larger spots, maybe three on the tail, that seemed consistent with descriptions of fin rot. But I will most certainly keep an eye on it to see if it seems to change in quality.

9. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

Aq salt can help but don't use it if you have snails or certain types of fish. From what you're describing your fish may have some fungus so you may want to look more closely at meds so it doesn't get worse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice