Possible fin rot/frantic glass surfing

uzivur

** Sorry for making a handful of threads over the past week, I'm overly cautious and don't have experience in keeping aquariums. I just don't want to mess up and harm my fish. Thanks for those that answer and give helpful advice!

Getting to the point,
I had literally just moved my betta to her permanent home the other day (see my last thread from yesterday). This morning when I had turned her aquarium light on I noticed her dorsal fin and tail outlined with white and the tips were curled inwards, giving them a very slight tattered appearance. I had also noticed something thin white/almost clear hanging off of her today, right above her pectoral fin that has disappeared. She has been glass surfing after being placed in the tank but it's gotten more aggressive today. Usually a very active and responsive betta, she has been spending far more time resting at the bottom of the tank than usual, while still coming up to the surface for air and to glass surf. I fed her 3 pellets of Ultra Fresh Betta Pro this morning, eaten with no problem.

The tank has been cycling for almost 4 weeks now, with the last parameter readings done with test strips. I've since learned that those aren't accurate and ordered the API master test kit to come this week.

ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 20ppm
ph 7

I also ordered almond leaves and aquarium salt that should be here by Monday. I did a PWC of 40% about half an hour ago in case it was an ammonia spike that the test strips didn't read. Please let me know what I should be doing differently or what I can do to help her heal!

Attachments

• 08DA48E6-1D3E-4009-A856-9331B0695F23.jpeg
    08DA48E6-1D3E-4009-A856-9331B0695F23.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 12F436C7-A47B-45ED-B215-72F7C379CCC2.jpeg
    12F436C7-A47B-45ED-B215-72F7C379CCC2.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 15

BigManAquatics

Keep an eye on the ammonia but try to keep the lights off or low as well. The glass surfing should go away soon. If it doesn't, try placing plants and decor along the edges a bit to break up the reflection. Also doesn't look like there is much up higher towards the top for the betta to rest on other than the bottom. Also, the fins don't look very bad at all. The leaves should help some when they come.

Thunder_o_b

Do not be sorry for posting, that's what we are here for.

uzivur

Keep an eye on the ammonia but try to keep the lights off or low as well. The glass surfing should go away soon. If it doesn't, try placing plants and decor along the edges a bit to break up the reflection. Also doesn't look like there is much up higher towards the top for the betta to rest on other than the bottom. Also, the fins don't look very bad at all. The leaves should help some when they come.
Will do, thank you! Is the aquarium salt not necessary for now then, just continued PWC for ammonia levels?

Also, there are a handful of plants including ones that break the surface of the water for her to rest on. I've also dimmed the lights to the lowest setting for now. Here's a picture of the whole tank

Attachments

• C67FFAA1-8788-4935-A547-43D7FFCD5B60.jpeg
    C67FFAA1-8788-4935-A547-43D7FFCD5B60.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 11

Thunder_o_b

Will do, thank you! Is the aquarium salt not necessary for now then, just continued PWC for ammonia levels?

Also, there are a handful of plants including ones that break the surface of the water for her to rest on. I've also dimmed the lights to the lowest setting for now. Here's a picture of the whole tank
You want to watch the salt. It can be bad for the plants.

BigManAquatics

I wouldn't bother with salt at this point. Doing a small water change 2-3 times a week should do wonders for what bit of fin damgae there is, once you get the ammonia situates.

uzivur

I wouldn't bother with salt at this point. Doing a small water change 2-3 times a week should do wonders for what bit of fin damgae there is, once you get the ammonia situates.
You want to watch the salt. It can be bad for the plants.
Noted. I appreciate the advice guys! I'll update this thread if it doesn't seem to be healing over the course of a week or so. I'll skip the salt and see how she does

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Livebearer08
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
PlantedCommunityTank132
Replies
Views