Possible Fin Rot And Inflamed Fin

jacob thompson
my angelfish is not eating much I now suspect he has fin rot and the rays and capillaries have become inflamed. I’m not sure what the best corse of treatment is. If I should just do water changes or if I should add medication as well.I do have melefix, should I use that?

Attachments

• C2FB8FE0-C4F4-4898-BC0D-B2A14688C0FB.jpeg
    C2FB8FE0-C4F4-4898-BC0D-B2A14688C0FB.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 91ACA890-A435-4C8A-ADCC-5DD364DC750E.jpeg
    91ACA890-A435-4C8A-ADCC-5DD364DC750E.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 1448D561-A6BA-4852-8B23-0C89AC0F8395.jpeg
    1448D561-A6BA-4852-8B23-0C89AC0F8395.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 55
ValerieAdams
Hmm.. I'm not sure what I'm looking at really. Gypsy13 DarkOne ??

jacob thompson
I’ll try to get a better photo when I get home after class.the fin is splotched red at the end of the dorsal fin.

angelcraze
I see some redness at the pectoral fin where it meets the body as well. That could be due to the angel swimming fast. Do you have other angels in the tank? Is he being chased by anyone? Could be nipping at the dorsal end.

I never had success with Melafix AnD prefer to not use it personally. It changes the parameters of my water. I just keep my eye out when I see stuff like that and continue with water changes like every other day to keep the tank very clean until it heals. If you have Indian Almond Leaves, those seem much more helpful than Melafix to me.

jacob thompson
I have no other angels I. The tnak and he is by himself except for a school of neons which I will move when the angel grows. They are completely ignoring the angel and avoid him. I don’t really know what water changes will do since the water is at 5ppm nitrates and has been that or lower since it’s been set up. What do the almond leaves do? All of my research suggests they just lower the ph of the tank by releasing tannins. I do have them though since I tried a low ph betta tank in the past.I do have a strong filter on the tank though. The flow is dispersed with a sponge and placement of the heater though.

Gypsy13
I’m not sure what your angel looks like. How red? Exactly where? You say the rays look inflamed? As in grossly swollen?
CanadianFishFan a little help here? Please?

Whitewolf
It looks fine to me
The pink is part of its coloration
Dont worry about a tiny bit of fin burn, it happens to fish in nature too, its perfectly normal and fine

jacob thompson
Okay, thank you I wasn’t sure because the edges of the fins look a little ragged and then the red appeared today and I got worried. I just realized I didn’t upload the second better photo of the red fin

Attachments

• 9612067D-AC77-4D50-8006-277E3643CA53.jpeg
    9612067D-AC77-4D50-8006-277E3643CA53.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 49
Whitewolf
Ya, the only kind to really worry about is mouth fungus, normal tail rot or decay or being nipped a bit is just a part of being a fish....they can heal pretty easily, its just cartlidge, like having our ear pierced.

jacob thompson
Then I’ll just keep up on the weekly water changes to keep the nitrates low or nonexistent and let it heal.

Whitewolf
Ya, chiclids are tough fish, I wouldnt medicate at the drop of a hat, let nature take its course
The only thing you might want to consider is to ocasially de-worm them or use General cure against Hole in the head parasite that they are prone to, along with praziquentel (the other indredient) to protect against internal parasites/worms, especially if your feeding a lot of feeders or live worms/insects.

Water in the wild does not have very much nitrates, if any, as plants, trees, and algae immedately consume it. I have tested this myself.

jacob thompson
Yeah I do large water changes weekly and it’s already pretty planted with water wisteria so nitrates aren’t a problem. I don’t feed live only frozen so I don’t really have to worry about what I introduce into my aquarium and also because I don’t want them addicted to live and develop deficiencies. Only one I feed live is if they are on a hunger strike. And then only brine never blackworms(big risk due to where they naturally live).

CanadianFishFan
I’m not sure what your angel looks like. How red? Exactly where? You say the rays look inflamed? As in grossly swollen?
Since when did I own angels? Lol, don't even know where the gills are... I can't see anything wrong, but then again I never even researched about them.

Gypsy13
Since when did I own angels? Lol, don't even know where the gills are... I can't see anything wrong, but then again I never even researched about them.

I was just asking for a description. Thank you though.

CanadianFishFan
I was just asking for a description. Thank you though.
Sorry, even though I still don't know what a healthy angel would look like anyway...

angelcraze
Where the pectoral fin meets the body, it's a bit pink, I keep koi type angelfish as well. I actually noticed my gold pearlscale had a pink pectoral the other day. I just keep my eye on it, keep the nitrates below 5ppm and it usually fades back in a couple days. I've never seen the pink on the fin edges, but I have never jumped to antibiotics for cichlid injuries, they are so robust, I've seen a dorsal fin split in two all the way down and seal shut the next day!

IALs are said to have antibacterial/antifungal properties. They release compounds that mimic natural soft-water conditions, encourages breeding behavior and good for fry to graze on.

I add IALs all the time, but more when I see an injury. I feel they really work! One of my female angelfish ripped some scales of her face caring for a swarm of fry. I was pretty worried because it looked pretty deep, but it never even became red and healed completely within a week.

angelcraze
I can't see the swollen part, it just looks a bit pink where the pectoral meets the body and pink at the end of the dorsal. Oh and the caudal fin edge is a bit ragged. It doesn't look infected to me or anything. It's clear on the edges, no whiteness or redness. Looks like a pretty healthy angelfish to me?

jacob thompson
So do I float the Indian almond leaves or put it in the filter? And thank you very much for the responses. I just want to give the fish as good a life as I can.

cichlid4life
I see nothing in the photos so I can't tell what you are all saying!

Gypsy13
So do I float the Indian almond leaves or put it in the filter? And thank you very much for the responses. I just want to give the fish as good a life as I can.

If you’re going to use the almond leaves you put them into the tank. It’s recommended you boil them first. They will sink to the bottom. You’re supposed to leave them in until they start breaking up. I have them in my betta tank. But I’m not liking them. Smell.

cichlid4life
If you’re going to use the almond leaves you put them into the tank. It’s recommended you boil them first. They will sink to the bottom. You’re supposed to leave them in until they start breaking up. I have them in my betta tank. But I’m not liking them. Smell.
and they will color your aquarium water with some brownish tanins.

Whitewolf
Nah feeding blackworms to a chiclid is not a big risk, plenty of people do it, even discus. They love it.

angelcraze
Hahaha, I love the smell! Smells so outdoorsy. I don't bother to boil them and you can just toss them in, they'll sink in a couple days. Or I add them to my filter or by the output flow in a footlet pantyhose bag because I don't want the debris (personally) and it disperses better thru the tank. It's like a tea bag. It will stain the water an amber color, the more leaves, the darker it gets. I add one large leaf per 30 gallons.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Emilykt13
Top Bottom