Possible Fin Melt/Rot

ZMan1

Hi, new into this forum. Proud owner of 3 female bettas (Separate tanks of course.) I do have a couple concerns about the veiltail. She is about a year old and looks like her back is hunching. Also she is less active and has been sleeping vertically. Upon observation, her fins look like they are deteriorating. Would someone kindly help with an observation. Thanks

D1D905DE-CC25-428A-A80D-B78920C8A77A.jpeg

ValkyrieLips

First impression, she seems a little bloated and it appears she has fin rot. The hunched back is most likely caused by the bloat/constipation. What are you water parameters (including temp) and how often do you do water changes and how much? Do you use a gravel vacuum? How much do you feed her and does she have tank mates?

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

Thank you for the reply. Gosh, it sounds bad. I will take immediate action I’m checking the parameters as we speak. The ammonia as of yesterday was 0ppm. The temp is at a even 78 degrees. I gravel vacuum about 30% of the water once a week.

Here are some more pics. What could be causing this? She is not very active I will stop feeding her but she has a hearty appetite.

Ok, here are the rest of the water parameters:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
PH: 7 range

What should I look out for? She is lethargic and hiding in the corner all the time.

Attachments

Amythe

ZMan1 said:
Hi, new into this forum. Proud owner of 3 female bettas (Separate tanks of course.) I do have a couple concerns about the veiltail. She is about a year old and looks like her back is hunching. Also she is less active and has been sleeping vertically. Upon observation, her fins look like they are deteriorating. Would someone kindly help with an observation. Thanks

She may have fin rot, perhaps overfeeding.

“Drugs such as Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline, malachite green methylene blue and Chloramphenicol are also used to treat fin rot. However, take note that medication can be stressful to fishes. They filter the water through their gills so they are ingesting significant amount of the medicine.”

Source:

julifhy

Well Known
It would be really helpful if you filled this out, like Addictedtobettas mentioned:
Fish Emergency Template | 376562 | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health
Please copy and paste it here, include the questions, and answer the questions even if they might not apply.

AmytheOtter said:
She may have fin rot, perhaps overfeeding.

“Drugs such as Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline, malachite green methylene blue and Chloramphenicol are also used to treat fin rot. However, take note that medication can be stressful to fishes. They filter the water through their gills so they are ingesting significant amount of the medicine.”
Make sure to give credit :):

Amythe

ZMan1 said:

julifhy said:
Make sure to give credit :):
Kay!

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

I will copy the template after this post. I haven’t fed her for a couple days, did a 30% water change and she moved to another side of the tank rather than stay hidden behind the filter.

When I checked on her right now, I saw that there is white on the top of her back. It doesn’t look fuzzy but maybe powdery. It’s in her spine. Actually, it looks like her scales rather than growth.
I know it’s not her scales changing color, I just didn’t recognize it. Her water parameters were fine, this stuff happening is sudden. Let me try to post some pics.

Attachments

julifhy

Well Known
ZMan1 said:
I will copy the template after this post. I haven’t fed her for a couple days, did a 30% water change and she moved to another side of the tank rather than stay hidden behind the filter.

When I checked on her right now, I saw that there is white on the top of her back. It doesn’t look fuzzy but maybe powdery. It’s in her spine. Actually, it looks like her scales rather than growth.
I know it’s not her scales changing color, I just didn’t recognize it. Her water parameters were fine, this stuff happening is sudden. Let me try to post some pics.
Are her scales pineconing? It looks a little like dropsy from the picture.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

Whew...no pineconing but I ‘ok check around the clock. It is hard to get a pic from a top view ****. Any suggestions, lighting, etc.?

There is a thin yellowish white strip along the base of her spine. Her fins are choppy but otherwise healthy. She is swimming around and searching for food. I started her with Melafix for the fin rot and bacteria.image.jpg

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

Just checked. No pineconing. When I shined a flashlight on her, she does look like a yellowish powder on her. Maybe velvet?

julifhy

Well Known
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I didn't get the notifications for this thread for some reason.
Is she flashing, or trying to scratching on tank decorations?
What do you feed her?
How much do you feed her?
How often do you feed her?
How big is her tank? Does she have a filter?

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

julifhy said:
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I didn't get the notifications for this thread for some reason.
Is she flashing, or trying to scratching on tank decorations?
What do you feed her?
How much do you feed her?
How often do you feed her?
How big is her tank? Does she have a filter?
Thanks for the reply. No, she doesn’t flash or scratch against objects

I feed her a varied diet consisting of frozen brine shrimp, micro pellets and frozen blood worms for a treat.

She is fed 1 or 2 times a day depending on how much she ate. It is usually more than the size of her eye (quite a bit more.). I fast her once a week.

Our veil tail lives in a 3.5 gallon tank that is both filtered and heated.

Oh, I just need some advice, when changing water and other maintenance duties, how to I prevent the spreading of bacteria? Thanks.

julifhy

Well Known
ZMan1 said:
Thanks for the reply. No, she doesn’t flash or scratch against objects

I feed her a varied diet consisting of frozen brine shrimp, micro pellets and frozen blood worms for a treat.

She is fed 1 or 2 times a day depending on how much she ate. It is usually more than the size of her eye (quite a bit more.). I fast her once a week.

Our veil tail lives in a 3.5 gallon tank that is both filtered and heated.

Oh, I just need some advice, when changing water and other maintenance duties, how to I prevent the spreading of bacteria? Thanks.
You might want to lay back the brine shrimp and blood worms for a while and instead feed daphnia and the pellets you normally feed her since she looks a little chubbier than she should. You could also fast her for 2 days a week instead of 1 day.
IMO also she needs a bigger tank. Short finned bettas and female bettas need more space to swim and exercise. Usually the minimum for females is 10 gallons, but if you can’t do that, at least 5 gallons would benefit her more.
25-30% water changes every week should be fine. By the “spreading of bacteria” are you talking about the slight fin rot she seems to have? If so, I would suggest 25% (maybe more) water changes everyday. Indian almond leaves would also be very beneficial for her fins and her overall health.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

They don’t sell Indian almond leaves at a local PetSmart, do they? And I believe, no daphnia as well. Will look online into those.

I know, I feel bad about the tank. New betta owners just do the bare minimum. She will be in a 10 gallon at the start of the month and will use the 3.5 as an emergency or a quarantine tank. Why do they sell those nano tanks if they are unfit? Gosh, poor fish.

julifhy

Well Known
ZMan1 said:
They don’t sell Indian almond leaves at a local PetSmart, do they? And I believe, no daphnia as well. Will look online into those.

I know, I feel bad about the tank. New betta owners just do the bare minimum. She will be in a 10 gallon at the start of the month and will use the 3.5 as an emergency or a quarantine tank. Why do they sell those nano tanks if they are unfit? Gosh, poor fish.
I don’t think you can get Indian almond leaves in petsmart, but you can get the daphnia. This is the one I use: :)
I also understand. My betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank currently and I’m also setting him up a 10 gallon.
This is the reason I found as for why they sell tanks so small:
“Due to the weedy nature of their natural habitat, Bettas are also adapted to live in very small spaces, which, when coupled with their ability to breathe air, makes them able to survive effectively in small bowls.”

I guess it’s just from a lot of misinformation :(.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

It looks like my veil tail has columnaris. Her fins have receded even more. She also doesn’t have mobility towards the rear of her body and the white powder on her back has gotten larger.

I’ve started her with melafix and aquarium salt as a temporary stop gap measure. What should i do?.

julifhy

Well Known
ZMan1 said:
It looks like my veil tail has columnaris. Her fins have receded even more. She also doesn’t have mobility towards the rear of her body and the white powder on her back has gotten larger.

I’ve started her with melafix and aquarium salt as a temporary stop gap measure. What should i do?.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you have a picture you could attach?
Personally I wouldn't use melafix. It could potentially damage your betta's labyrinth organ. Instead, what most people choose to use is furan 2 and aquarium salt. Another thing you should do is lower your temperature to 75 degrees Fahrenheit to slow the infection.
I would suggest setting up a quarantine tank. It would be easier treating her there especially because you have to use aquarium salt.
This website has more details:
And feel free to ask more questions if you need anything else.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

Here’s a shot. I did a water change last night. Is it too soon for another one? I want to lessen the melafix

Attachments

julifhy

Well Known
ZMan1 said:
Here’s a shot. I did a water change last night. Is it too soon for another one? I want to lessen the melafix
Frequent water changes would really help. I would do 25% water changes everyday.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

julifhy said:
Frequent water changes would really help. I would do 25% water changes everyday.
How’s she looking. Now there is white fuzz on the tip of her fin.

Attachments

julifhy

Well Known
julifhy said:
I was going through this thread again and I think 50% water changes might actually be better. Also are you able to get furan 2 for her?

julifhy

Well Known
ZMan1 said:
How’s she looking I know she’s a bit dull. Notice the white stuff along her spine? What is it?
I thought the white stuff on her spine was the columnaris you were talking about. Her fins do seem to be improving a little though!

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

I just needed a confirmation. Going to treat it as columnaris.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

ZMan1 said:
I just needed a confirmation. Going to treat it as columnaris.
Here are some of the latest shots of our veil tail. She has been active this past week after treating her with Melafix. Don’t know what’s that in her spine. Her spine is bumpy and the white on it looks like scarring and it’s not fuzzy. What could it be? The shots aren’t too clear but will try to get some more.

Attachments

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Not sure if I missed some details but..

I don’t think you’re dealing with columnaris this far out. If it was columnaris at the beginning, maybe. But it’s a hard hitter that wouldn’t be likely to just ‘hang around’.

If you can’t get Indian almond leaves try rooibos tea. It’s sold almost everywhere, including Safeway and target and Walmart usually. Should be organic and only contain rooibos tea. It will help get tannins and other beneficial aspects into the water (as many of us betta keepers believe).

Water changes should be 25% every other day.

Low dose salt is ok in my experience but I wouldn’t touch melafix or bettafix for any fish. I’ve had no good come from the fix line and lost several fish that were being ‘treated’ with it.

Add more plants to the tank, 3.5g or 10g, silk (not plastic) or live, she needs a more comfortable water life especially when so stressed from illness.

Change to omega one or new life spectrum (both sold at petco sometimes at petsmart) pellets and lay off the fatty treats. Do 2-3 pellets once a day for first week.

Those are just my opinions based on my own betta experiences. I’m not a veterinarian just a betta keeper.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

Got the roobios tea as the Indian almond leaves should be arriving by next week. The tea is ok so far. The tannins from the tea give the tanks a bronze Amazonian muddy look, much like the betta’s natural habitat. They seem spry and lively.

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

It’s been a week. After a few days off of medicating, I’ve began treatment of my betta with API General Cure. She has the same symptoms as of those stated on the box. I treated immediately with API Fin and Body Cure but her symptoms fall in line with the illnesses listed for General Cure.

I’m still debating whether or not it’s columnaris. It’s been ongoing for a few weeks now. If not, does anyone know what can possibly be affecting my veil tail? Looking at earlier posts, the growth on her back has spread, even onto her head and face. Here are a couple shots of her.

Attachments

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

It’s a day to day thing. Overall, yes, she’s healthy and zipping around. She had internal parasites and thankfully not columnaris or ick. The grey spots on her were fungal so I gave her treatments with API General Cure. So far so good. Thanks!

julifhy

Well Known
ZMan1 said:
It’s a day to day thing. Overall, yes, she’s healthy and zipping around. She had internal parasites and thankfully not columnaris or ick. The grey spots on her were fungal so I gave her treatments with API General Cure. So far so good. Thanks!
Are the fungal spots improving? I’m glad it wasn’t columnaris or ick. What parasite was it? And how did you know she had it? (Sorry, I’m just curious how you knew what it was :))

OP
ZMan1

ZMan1

Oh, she was literally wasting away thus the name wasting disease. She looked really emaciated and along with the cataracts in her eyes, she developed a hunchback. All this means that she’s aging. The problem was that she’s just only over a year and a half old. I concluded that the aging symptoms were due to poor maintenance and neglectful caretaking. And the parasites, once the General Cure treatment began, the white stringy parasites were falling out of her.

Thing are doing well as we speak and I’m watching her recover It all started when I saw her fins were progressively rotting and she was hiding listlessly. Going to keep timely from now on with the maintenance.

New Threads