Possible Dwarf Gourami Emergency

Ebster56

Hey all, i’ve literally just made this account lol out of fear for my baby,
this is Coral, my dwarf gourami. my tank is a 54 litre, has a temperature of 26° and has been established for around 4-5 months. i got Coral around 3 months ago, and he has thrived in my tank, (a 54 litre by the way). he is currently in the tank with 2 guppies, 2 serpae tetra, 2 black phantoms, a female betta and 2 black skirt tetras. I observe my fish daily and very carefully to ensure that no bullying nor harm is being done to any fish. Over the past week, Coral has developed a lump under his eye, has stopped eating, become very bloated and began gasping. this is very bizarre and concerning behaviour as he is usually such an energetic, thriving, personality-filled piggy. i have attempted to help this by doing some 25% water changes, treating with BACTOREX incase of internal parasites, however no improvements have occurer. i have blanched peas incase of constipation and have also given him salt baths. if anyone has any possible idea, diagnosis or if this looks familiar to anyone, please give me any advice. i adore my little coral and will spend any amount of money for him. attached are some photos. i am thinking about trying antibiotics but not sure! any advice is happily taken!
forgot to add; PH is 7.3, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are at 0.

Tigerburp

Hey all, i’ve literally just made this account lol out of fear for my baby,
this is Coral, my dwarf gourami. my tank is a 54 litre, has a temperature of 26° and has been established for around 4-5 months. i got Coral around 3 months ago, and he has thrived in my tank, (a 54 litre by the way). he is currently in the tank with 2 guppies, 2 serpae tetra, 2 black phantoms, a female betta and 2 black skirt tetras. I observe my fish daily and very carefully to ensure that no bullying nor harm is being done to any fish. Over the past week, Coral has developed a lump under his eye, has stopped eating, become very bloated and began gasping. this is very bizarre and concerning behaviour as he is usually such an energetic, thriving, personality-filled piggy. i have attempted to help this by doing some 25% water changes, treating with BACTOREX incase of internal parasites, however no improvements have occurer. i have blanched peas incase of constipation and have also given him salt baths. if anyone has any possible idea, diagnosis or if this looks familiar to anyone, please give me any advice. i adore my little coral and will spend any amount of money for him. attached are some photos. i am thinking about trying antibiotics but not sure! any advice is happily taken!
forgot to add; PH is 7.3, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are at 0.
So it could be a injury or a tumour, the latter you cannot treat unfortunately. Is there any thing that attacks coral?, sharp decor?

Ebster56

So it could be a injury or a tumour, the latter you cannot treat unfortunately. Is there any thing that attacks coral?, sharp decor?
the only idea i have that may be sharp is a bit of driftwood which may of pricked him, but im not sure if it wouldve caused this much of a lump/impact, though it may of gotten infected. nothing else in my tank has attacked coral

Tigerburp

the only idea i have that may be sharp is a bit of driftwood which may of pricked him, but im not sure if it wouldve caused this much of a lump/impact, though it may of gotten infected. nothing else in my tank has attacked coral
Has it grown at all or stayed the same size?

Ebster56

it grower a fair bit over the past week, but now is at a consistent size. could it be dropsy due to the bloating?

Tigerburp

it grower a fair bit over the past week, but now is at a consistent size. could it be dropsy due to the bloating?
Do you see his scales pine coning?, dropsy wouldn’t account for The Eye lump

Ebster56

i dont think so, but heres a photo for second opinion. put him in a five litre with half a teaspoon of epson salt for 5-10 minutes.

Clarity

You said your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at 0?

DoubleDutch

This fish shows several symptoms of Dwarf Gouramis Disease. Bloating cause of spleen and kidney necrosis.

Ebster56

You said your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at 0?
yes thats right!
This fish shows several symptoms of Dwarf Gouramis Disease. Bloating cause of spleen and kidney necrosis.
is dwarf gourami disease curable? will he be okay and what is it caused by?

Hellfishguy

Sorry to have to break this to you, but dwarf gourami iridovirus is incurable and fatal. I know they’re hard to resist, but most dwarfs succumb to DGI within a year of purchase. Indiscriminate line breeding has ruined one of the most beautiful species of aquarium fish.

Ebster56

Sorry to have to break this to you, but dwarf gourami iridovirus is incurable and fatal. I know they’re hard to resist, but most dwarfs succumb to DGI within a year of purchase. Indiscriminate line breeding has ruined one of the most beautiful species of aquarium fish.
hey, thankyou for the honesty (and saving me money if i were to invest into attempting to save him). is there anything i can do to make him suffer less? and are you extremely positive that this is the disease? thankyou all for your replies❤️

Hellfishguy

If it’s s dwarf gourami odds are it’s DGI. The worst part is that the fish can suffer for weeks before it finally passes. Euthanasia at this point is the most compassionate thing you can do. I personally recommend freezing, others use clove oil.

Ebster56

If it’s s dwarf gourami odds are it’s DGI. The worst part is that the fish can suffer for weeks before it finally passes. Euthanasia at this point is the most compassionate thing you can do. I personally recommend freezing, others use clove oil.
i believe it is that too. he has taken a turn for the worse, and is now gasping extremely quickly. i am going to have to euthanise the poor guy. do i just place him solely in the freezer in a bowl? sorry if its a dumb question

Hellfishguy

I usually use the type of plastic bags used to transport fish for the purpose, but if unavailable you can use a plastic container with a cover.

Ebster56

hi all. coral has passed away prior minutes to euthanasia. i loved him so much and i hope he is no longer suffering. thankyou all for your replies, advice, and educating me on dwarf gourami disease, it means a lot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Breannaw1
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
Replies
Views