Possible Copper Issue, Not Sure What To Do

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fahn, Apr 22, 2018.

1. FahnFishlore VIPMember

So, discovered this by chance.

For the past several months my bathroom toilet will get a mysterious blue ring around the inside of the bowl. Family accused me of pouring chemicals in the toilet but the only thing I dump is water from water changes, never straight chemicals.

I finally got curious and looked up the reason and... lo and behold, a blue ring can be caused by elevated levels of copper. I do not have a copper test kit, so I have not been able to test my water. This has not been an issue (the blue ring) until a few months ago. I am on a well that has never had issues before to my knowledge.

If this is from my water having elevated levels of copper, what can I do to fix that? I have shrimp and snails and I know copper is toxic to inverts. However, is it possible it is just caused by me pouring water that contains fertilizers into my toilet?

2. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I would think if your water contained copper, your snails and shrimp would be dead by now. Especially if there was enough copper to leave a blue ring.

3. FahnFishlore VIPMember

It's only one toilet as well, not the one in the master bathroom. Thoughts?

4. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

If the only toilet to get the stain is the one you dump old tank water into, logic would dictate that the ring is caused by you dumping tank water into that toilet. So it could very well be caused by the ferts in the tank water.

5. SPCNew MemberMember

I suggest you conduct the copper test nonetheless...just to be fully sure .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice