Possible Columnaris Infection...or Coloring!? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AquariumBill, Jun 7, 2019.

1. AquariumBillNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3.5 gallon
    How long has the tank been running? 4 months
    Does it have a filter? yes
    Does it have a heater? yes
    What is the water temperature? 78
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta fish, male

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? weekly
    How much of the water do you change? 25%
    What do you use to treat your water? Hikari Ultimate
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API Master kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5
    pH: 7.5

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish? Size of eyeball
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Betta buffet flakes, Wardley betta pellets and Hikari freeze dried daphnia
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Dried

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 3 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Started as ich and fin rot + Swim bladder disorder. Cleared up, now white edges around lips
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Lot more "blubbing", but seems much better than before he first got sick!

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

My betta fish Gorgo was purchased from a chain pet store when he was a fry. He's about 6 months old at this point and got very sick about a month ago. I think there was a nitrite spike + some issues he may have had since he was a little guy and he got sick. I ended up treating with Aquarium Co-op's combo of erythromycin, general cure and ich-x. The combo worked wonderfully.

I think he passed a parasite as he has had no swim bladder problems after and is back to his normal self. Originally, I thought it was constipation, but the poop was white and stringy and all signs pointed to a parasite. After that, he was like a new fish. Plus the fin rot is healing and no ich spots. He is lively, breathing well and eating well.

However, I NOW noticed a bit of...an off color mustache around his lips. I have attached a video as it's hard to see in photos. Does this look like columnaris? I thought I nailed it and he was looking good! He's also opening his mouth a lot more, but he's always done a fair amount of blubbing. I am worried he may be rubbing his lips against the glass, but he's always glass surfed when I'm nearby.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Kanaplex, erythromycin, general cure, aquairum salt, Furan-2 and Paraguard at my disposal.

I have included a link to a reddit page where I posted a video. It was hard to see in photos and I think the video gives a better picture.

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today