Possible Cichlid IDs for a new enthusiast

myFRAGisFUBAR

Hey everyone!

I have recently gotten in to the hobby and was hoping to get some help. I have a 45 gallon tank at the moment(36"x13"x23") but pending a move would like to upgrade to 120+ tank. I have narrowed down to wanting to keep Mbuna cichlids. I have a few local stores and I have been looking at the stock for a while. I finally picked up three juveniles from an "assorted African" tank. I decided on them first for price and second hoping that I could upgrade tanks as they mature. I wanted to add more but didn't want to do more than 3 at a time. I would like to get roughly 8-10 total for the current tank. I was hoping to get some help getting an ID/sex on the three that I had. Thanks again! Any thoughts, concerns, adive, or other info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191228-174700_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228-174700_Photos.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20191228-174718_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228-174718_Photos.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20191228-174648_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191228-174648_Photos.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 71

MacZ

I a breed of Yellow Lab, some kind of pseudotropheus/maylandia, and a convict cichlid.
sexes: not yet. All are still too young to say for certain.

The first two are Mbuna, the convict is from south america.

myFRAGisFUBAR

Thanks for a quick reply. I guess it would be in my best interest to try and swap the convict for another?

As far as getting 8-10 juveniles, does that sound like an acceptable amount for the tank size that I have?

MacZ

Thanks for a quick reply. I guess it would be in my best interest to try and swap the convict for another?

As far as getting 8-10 juveniles, does that sound like an acceptable amount for the tank size that I have?

Yes to both. Get rid of the convict as fast as possible and until the Mbunas have grown and you've upgraded the tank size it's allright.

What's your setup? (Filter, parameters, decoration, plants etc.?)

Critical advice with Mbuna:
- the more males, the more aggression
- aggression is usually coped with by slight overcrowding, so it gets distributed evenly.
- you need strong and reliable filtration
- forget about live plants longterm. Mbuna are like hippos. Vegetarians with a bad attitude.

myFRAGisFUBAR

Right now my water temp is holding at 80ish. I have a marineland 200 filter but I'm looking at adding a second one. I would like to build a sump once I buy a bigger tank. I got a few decorations when I got the tank but these will need to go because there aren't many hiding places. Current plants are java fern and Amazon sword.

I was wanting to buy multiple juveniles and see what luck had me for males. As for the females, I would ideally rehome or give back to the LFS. Plus buying small would let me watch them grow and give me time to upgrade tank size.

Thanks again for all the advice. I really do appreciate it.

MacZ

Yeah, 2nd filter seems to be a good idea until the upgrade. The Amazon sword I'd try to rehome, the Javafern could eventually work.

If you want to really make it ideal for the fish: pH around 8 and GH around 15-20 would be optimal. But only after the convict is gone.

You're welcome!

BatGrl3

Get rid of the convict as fast as possible

I'm new to cichlids and eventually want my own tank. Why the rush to get rid of the convict?

A201

Convicts are Central American Cichlids, the others are African Rift Lake Cichlids.
Although the Convicts share similar water parameter requirements & are aggressive, the Mbuna's hyper aggression would likely be directed towards the Convict making its life short & miserable.
Not a good idea to mix New World cichlids w/ Africans.

BatGrl3

Convicts are Central American Cichlids, the others are African Rift Lake Cichlids.
Although the Convicts share similar water parameter requirements & are aggressive, the Mbuna's hyper aggression would likely be directed towards the Convict making its life short & miserable.
Not a good idea to mix New World cichlids w/ Africans.
Wonderful information to have. So each type of cichlid can't live with the other type? I will remember this for when I get myself a cichlid tank. Thank you.

A201

Its possible to successfully mix cichlids together from other continents but not advisable.
South Americans & Central Americans can often be kept together depending on the species. In general Africans should only be kept with Africans. They require hard water w/ elevated PH, and sometimes their aggression is almost unmanageable.
Cichlids are fun to keep. I think you will like them.

BatGrl3

I've been wanting a convict cichlid. He/she would have their own tank and be alone. One person at my local shop was like omg nooooo. Never ever ever get a convict. They're so aggressive and this and that. So now she has me second guessing it

A201

Convicts are nice looking and are relatively fun to keep. The big draw
back is that they are a very common cichlid & prolific breeders.
Its nearly impossible to rehome the fry. Many consider Convicts to be a nuisance fish.

BatGrl3

Convicts are nice looking and are relatively fun to keep. The big draw
back is that they are a very common cichlid & prolific breeders.
Its nearly impossible to rehome the fry. Many consider Convicts to be a nuisance fish.

If I only had one then I wouldn't have to worry about breeding.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dubbgee
Replies
Views
dubbgee
Replies
Views
MissHoney
Replies
Views