Possible Case Of Popeye?

Jacob Varnell

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

My Dwarf Gourami may have a case of Popeye but I cannot be certain. It doesn’t “pop” out, and instead the clear part of his eye sticks out and comes to a point. It’s not the entire eye puffing up, it’s just the clear part.

It is definitely larger than the other eye, and he’s had this for quite some time. Should I treat the water? With what? Also if I do need to, I don’t have another tank to isolate him, will my other fish be harmed?

Thanks for any help!

Here’s the bad eye:

9e35518b-eafd-440c-bccc-4a0e882519e3-jpeg.jpg

The good eye:

upload_2018-5-12_12-2-51-jpeg.jpg

And them being compared (you can really see it sticking out)

upload_2018-5-12_12-3-11-jpeg.jpg

Thanks for any help!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte plus pH? I've never seen Popeye look like that but most often Popeye is caused by poor water conditions. Epsom salt baths can help if it's Popeye also but to be honest I think something else is going on with that fish. Hopefully someone who has seen something similar will chime in for you.

Jacob Varnell

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sfsamm said:
What are your parameters? Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte plus pH? I've never seen Popeye look like that but most often Popeye is caused by poor water conditions. Epsom salt baths can help if it's Popeye also but to be honest I think something else is going on with that fish. Hopefully someone who has seen something similar will chime in for you.
Thanks for the reply,

My parameters are fine. I just got them checked and the only issue was my pH was a tiny bit acidic, other than that they were great.

Do you think it could be some kind of fungus perhaps?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Jacob Varnell said:
Thanks for the reply,

My parameters are fine. I just got them checked and the only issue was my pH was a tiny bit acidic, other than that they were great.

Do you think it could be some kind of fungus perhaps?
Do you know what the actual readings were rather than fine?

And I haven't a clue what's wrong I've never seen anything like that nor have I dealt with Popeye in a tank of my own. But knowing actual parameters would be helpful in narrowing down where the issue may lie or where to begin? Tiny bit acidic is matter of opinion and fine is just as subjective if not more so.

What is your maintenance schedule and how do you perform a water change? Frequency, amount, vacuuming, etc?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s popeye. I’m dealing with it too right now. My fish was injured during spawning with a male. The fluid behind the eye is pushing the eye out. Mine is also just the clear part. I have tried Kanaplex and then went to Melafix. Got better then came back. Now going to treat with Kanaplex and Furan-2. Takes a long time to heal. I think I originally stopped treatment too soon. If you can, put the fish in hospital tank to treat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom