Possible Cage Bird Ideas?

bolivianbaby

A few months ago, all of our gouldian finches died mysteriously. All of the other birds in our home have been doing great, including the doves that live in the same room in a separate cage.

I'm starting to contemplate a new feathered addition to our family, but I don't know what.

Between the puppy (Sasha), LokI (the conure), the tanks, and our other responsibilities, I'm really not looking for a handbird, but I'd love to give some lucky bird(s) a wonderful home.

I'm thinking about:

Canaries
Finches
Lovebirds
Parrotlets

The cage is 32 x 21 x 36. A picture is attached for reference.

Does anyone have any opinions on my current thoughts or any other suggestions? Quaker parakeets are illegal in GA so I can't consider them.

Attachments

• Finch Cage.JPG
    Finch Cage.JPG
    348.1 KB · Views: 7,122

Fishies-for-me

I don't know anything about the rest , but parrotlets need a lot of one on one attention to be happy.. they are feisty , nippy , atitude in a pint size package...they are compared to having an amazon parrot.

Aquarist

HI BB,

I really like the plain every day finches. I don't currently have any but I did raise some many years ago. To choose from your list, either Finches or Canaries would be my choice.

Have fun!

Ken

gremlin

I agree with the finches. I love my zebra finches - they are so fun to watch. What is the bar spacing on the cage? Gouldians (I think) are one of the larger finches. If you can get them in your area, there are a variety of beautiful finches available.
Java Rice Finches
Strawberry Finches
Cutthroat Finches
Cordon Bleu Finches
Spice Finches
Society Finches
Mannikans
Green Singing Finches (sing as pretty as a canary!)

And of course, there are also button quail...(set up the cage for two in the bottom).

bolivianbaby

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I'm leaning towards canaries or Mannikan finches.

Gremlin-are button quail messy like doves? I love my doves, but they are messier than any other bird I have, so I don't want two cages of super-messy birds.

gremlin

Mine aren't, but then they are in an outdoor aviary. They stay mainly on the bottom of the cage. I have heard of people keeping them inside in an empty fish tank or a cage made for rabbits. My button quail love to take dust baths. Other than that, they really don't seem to be very messy.

Kathy Potts

BB, How about one of these?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • FishBoy101
  • Bird
Replies
Views
FishBoy101
  • bolivianbaby
  • Bird
Replies