Possible bristleworm emergency!!

alysonpwhite

I just got a trochus snail a few days ago. He seems to be doing well but while watching him in the tank tonight, I noticed a terrifying worm-looking thing peek its head out from under the rock. After a quick Google search, I’ve discovered that it’s most likely a bristleworm. I’ve seen some people saying that they’re helpful and some that warn to remove it from the tank immediately. The trochus snail is the only thing in my tank right now so luckily I don’t have to worry about any other animals. Still, I’m quite nervous about him. Will the worm attack him??? He’s just now getting used to his new home and I’d hate to see him go. I’ve attached the best image I could take of the work but its pretty bad quality. It has a pinkish body with white spikes on it and doesn’t seem to be very big. Just for reference, it’s lurking in a crevice near the bottom of the rock while my trochus is on the top. So basically what I’m asking is: is this thing dangerous? If so, what’s the best way to remove it? And WILL IT HURT MY TROCHUS?

Attachments

• 423F7B0C-281A-4A66-BFA3-10DDC1FE9E38.jpeg
    423F7B0C-281A-4A66-BFA3-10DDC1FE9E38.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 18

Frank the Fish guy

You need to figure out if it is a Fireworm which is a particular kind of bristle worm.

Fireworm = Bad (Can eat corals and grow huge)

If it's a fireworm, or you are not sure, you need to remove it.

Don't touch it as it will sting.

I had a fireworm once that grew to be about 8" long. One day it ate all my coral.

alysonpwhite

You need to figure out if it is a Fireworm which is a particular kind of bristle worm.

Fireworm = Bad (Can eat corals and grow huge)

If it's a fireworm, or you are not sure, you need to remove it.

Don't touch it as it will sting.

I had a fireworm once that grew to be about 8" long. One day it ate all my coral.
How can I find out if it’s a fireworm? And will fireworms eat inverts? How would you suggest I remove it from the tank?

Frank the Fish guy

Look for the fluffy collection of fibers on the bristles. Also the fireworm has a fatter body.

If you can get a better picture I am sure that folks here could help you decide if yours is a fire worm.

Fireworm is a predator and will eat your snail and everything else.

alysonpwhite

Look for the fluffy collection of fibers on the bristles. Also the fireworm has a fatter body.

If you can get a better picture I am sure that folks here could help you decide if yours is a fire worm.

Fireworm is a predator and will eat your snail and everything else.
I’ve done a little more research today and I believe it’s a common bristle worm so wouldn’t be harmful? I don’t have a better picture right now but here’s some I found online that pretty closely resembled mine. Just to confirm—this is not a fireworm?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rcslade124
Replies
Views
AmunetDeVawn
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views