Possible Blackeye In Goldfish?

1. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

My calico telescope eye is eating well and swimming fine . However, he has a swollen ring around his eye. Can a Goldie get a black eye? Looks like someone punched him in the eye.

Attached Files:

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I'm not an expert and I probably can't help much, but can you link some pictures of before you noticed this? It's kind of hard to tell rn because the fish already has black spots :)

3. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Here’s some pics before the injury.

Attached Files:

4. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

That’s very strange. Telescopes do tend to be susceptible to weird eye injuries. I looked into it and an injury can cause redness and swelling around a telescope’s eye. They recommend Stress Coat. Has he improved any since you posted this?

5. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

He has gotten a little better. It’s slowly going down. I have been doing Epsom salt dips. Thanks for asking and the tip on the Stress Coat. Will definately do!

6. LilBlub

That’s what I used with my oranda, it actually works really well! I’m glad your guy seems to be improving. I’ve never seen something like that before! I wonder what he hurt himself on.

7. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I think it was a big fake piece of driftwood. I moved it over to the tropical tank. I already have my black moor in QT for popeye due to scraping it while spawning. I had already suspected the driftwood was the culprit. After this one got injured I decided it just wasn’t worth it. The tropicals are little and seem to be loving the driftwood. Worked out well.

8. LilBlub

Fancy goldfish are so high maintenance... I’ve had to remove a decoration, plants, and all my gravel. If they can hurt themselves on something, they eventually will. It’s like having a tank full of clumsy puppies!

9. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I must agree! They are as curious as a cat too. Going in places they shouldn’t. Lol. Gotta live ‘em though.

10. LilBlub

I noticed you had gravel, do you ever have problems with it? One of my fish got big enough to swallow the rocks, and I had to pull them out of her throat with tweezers twice.

11. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Mine are so big now they take in mouthfuls of it and then spit it back out. I don’t want sand because I need to vacuum deeply and don’t want bare bottom. I do want to change it to something more natural looking but I it will still probably be gravel. The only thing that ever got stuck in a mouth was a piece of brocolli that didn’t get cooked enough. Got any suggestions for subtrate?

12. LilBlub

Currently I have mine bare. I wanted to get some big river rocks but I could never find any at pet stores.

13. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Each choice has it pros and cons. I use the bare bottom in my goldfish fry tank, simply because it is easier to clean. The gravel does have risks of choking but I have never had one to do it. I do make sure my gravel is rather large, bigger than a pea. The sand has risks too. It can build up toxic gases under the surface which can harm the fish and it scratches the glass on the tank. For me, the gravel is the best but that is just my choice. Everyone has their own preference and I love all of the choices. Just gotta pick the one that's right for you and the look you want. Quite honestly, sometimes I look at my goldfish and they will have a mouthful of gravel. I wonder how they don't sink with so much in their mouth. As soon as I see it, they spit it all out. Knock on wood, it hasn't been a problem yet for me. I have learned, however, to never say never. lol

14. LilBlub

Let’s hope your fish never swallow any! Mine was kind of a klutz, so maybe it was just her. And I’m glad that your guy’s eye is improving. Hopefully in a few days the swelling will be gone completely!

15. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I'm thinking maybe I'll do half bare bottom and half gravel. Then feed them on the bare bottom side. That seems to be when they get the gravel is during meal time. Hmmm, food for thought. Thanks!