Possible Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by aquawolf, Aug 4, 2014.

1. aquawolfValued MemberMember

I was browsing my tank a few days ago and noticed this weird looking algae. It seemed to have started once I had the pH corrected with API proper PH 7.0 (since my pH before this was around 8 +). This is in my 35 gallon rectangle tank and I have also noticed my two salt and pepper platys have become lethargic and always resting on the bottom (which is very unusual behavior as this pair was almost always mating). The pH is 7 and the ammonia is 0. I also have two bottom feeders (two Kuhli loaches) but no algae eater.

WP_20140804_002.jpg

2. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

In my opinion there was really no need to alter your pH. In fact I believe livebearers (i.e.platy's) actually prefer a higher pH. Almost all fish will do fine with any pH between 6 and 8.5. Altering your pH can be very dangerous for the fish. Rapid pH swings (which can occur when altering with a product like Proper pH 7.0) can kill your fish. So generally you are much better leaving the pH alone A stable pH is far more important than "hitting a number"

It seems many people new to fish keeping get all worried about pH, when actually pH is for the most part pretty unimportant. And believe me I know this from personal experiance. It was my anxiety over pH that lead me to FishLore in the first place.

So if it were me, I would let the pH slowly return to where it was.

Best of luck

3. OP
    OP
    a

aquawolfValued MemberMember

It is hard since the pH that they were at was causing alkalosis since they were flashing and their fins were ripping, as well as some areas of the body were a bit red. This was not a cause of a disease but was common in all the fish in the tank until the pH was corrected. Now they no longer have these symptoms but are healthy besides the two platys. I was just adding the pH info as some algae is present in different pH ranges and was wondering about the identity of the algae.

Thanks for the information though :)

4. delta5

delta5Well Known MemberMember

I had this issue when I first started and i was giving API proper Ph 7.0 a try. It seemed to grow mostly where sunlight was getting into the tank. Leaving it alone between water changes, cleanings and it cleared up on it's own. Now when I setup my 55g and left the ph alone I had a brown algae problem, but went away on it's own after the tank cycled.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice