Possible 50 gallon oceanic tank!!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishyboy05, Dec 10, 2012.

1. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

So I was originally set on a 29 gallon tank, but I saw an add on craigslist for a 50 gallon oceanic setup, stand, lights, filter, the whole nine yards, $200 flat. So I was wondering, btw the dimensions are 30x18x22, if this stock plan works?
    1 apisto
    1 gbr
    1 opaline gourami
    6 cherry barbs
    6 harqualins
    4 Julii Cory's
    3 otos
    Adding in a 50 gallon
    (1 angelfish)
    (1 rainbow shark)
    (1-3 swordtails)
    (1 clown pleco)
    (Mabye 1 gw killifish)
    How's it sound? If I need to nix something, 1st would be the harqualin, then opaline gourami

2. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

It might go over but if you do the nitrogen cycle and keep watching it and put one at a time add fish once a week you will be fine. Just keep an eye on it if it is to over stocked it might make the fish more aggressive towards each other. Also put the rainbow last that way adding more fish won't make him aggressive towards them because they will all be in the tank.

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Drop the shark. They really should be in a 75g to reduce their aggressive tendencies, and they are too much for many of those other ideas. They get NASTY.

I wouldn't do the clown pleco AND otos, as the otos often refuse to eat prepared food and rely on the algae in the aquarium for survival. The clown might eat too much of it for that to work well, starving out the otos.

Keeping gourami with angels isn't usually advised. For some reason they tend not to get along. You may wish to drop the gourami.

With those changes it's a fairly heavy stocking but really not overstocked. :)

4. OP
    OP
    F

Well Mabye instead of the shark, a pictus catfish? And I can do no gourami,

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Pictus need even larger tanks (around 125) as they get pretty big and prefer a few friends. Before I know any better I had a single one in a smaller tank and he was way too aggressive.

6. OP
    OP
    F

7. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Nope, rainbow sharks are too mean for your proposed stocking.

The Raphael cats (Platydoras costatus) get to 6" and so may have a mouth big enough to eat your other fish. General rule in a community is that no one can have a mouth big enough for another to fit in, as they will usually try at some point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice