Possible 100G Mbuna tank

1. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

My fish are finally in a good spot, I got my parents to agree to get me the filters and heaters I need.

My dad wants to turn our 100G into a chiclid tank. He said that if I set it up and maintain it he'll pay for it all. We've decided on Mbuna chiclids. I have 0 experience with chiclids, I know nothing about them.
    Questions-
    How do you stock a tank like this?
    What substrate?
    What are the ideal tank decorations?
    Can we have live plants and driftwood?
    What temp should the tank be?
    Are they hardy?
    What are some good hardy, colorful stocking options?
    Can we keep other fish with them?
    Thanks for the help guys!!

2. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

PSEUDOTROPHEUS SAULOSI CICHLID - DWARF MBUNA.
    Keeping the Saulosi Cichlid in groups of 5 or more will help with aggression issues from males.
    Compatible Tank Mates : Keep them with similarly sized mbuna's
    Water Parameters : pH 7.4 - 8.4 | dH range: 7 - 30 | Temperature : 73°F - 80°F (23°C - 27°C)
    Lifespan : 5 years, likely longer, hardy.

https://www.fishlore.com/profile-saulosicichlid.htm

Extremely colourful.

Substrates: I guess sand.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

4. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

How do you stock a tank like this?

:You buy all juvies and grow them out and remove the extras or buy bigger sexed fish but that's more expensive.

What substrate?

:Sand is the best for mbunas any sand works no need for special cichlid sand etc. I use black blast from menards, black diamond from tractor supply or pool filter sand from any pool or hardware store.

What are the ideal tank decorations?

:Rocks,rocks,rocks and did I mention rocks...

Can we have live plants and Driftwood?

:No,plants will be uprooted and eaten but anubias usually work or Java fern if your lucky, a small piece of driftwood can be added but they like rockwork better..

What temp should the tank be?

:mine is kept at 80-82degrees

Are they hardy?

:If you have previous fish keeping experience they are pretty hardy fish if you get them from a good quality source.

What are some good hardy, colorful stocking options?

: Yellow tailed aceis, Yellow labs, Rusty is great beginner combo all have great color and all are "peaceful" for mbuna standards

Can we keep other fish with them?

:Yes, but only certain fish the only 2 fish I agree with keeping with mbunas are plecos if your mbunas are not to agressive and synodontis. synodontis lucipinnis Are my favorite they are adorable and mind there own business and don't interfere with breeding.

What are the dimensions of your 100g tank?

5. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you so much! I'll look up those species asap.
    Dimensions are 60x18x18 with a 36x12x12 sump. All measurements are in inches.
    Would a sand/gravel mix be okay? I have mostly bdbs with some black gravel mixed in the tank currently.

6. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

No problem, the dimensions are perfect for mbunas. I would go with pure sand they love digging in it and is more natural for the them.

7. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Awesome! I'll start sifting through the sand.
    Do you have any other stocking options in case my dad doesn't like them?
    How many of each would you do?

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I have a list of some species our somewhat local LFS has that both he and I like.
    Yellow lab
    Demasonii
    Blue cobalt
    German red peacock
    Electric blue maingano

What type of rock is best?
    How should I arrange it?
    What should we feed them?
    Sorry for all the questions.

9. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Yellow labs and demasoni work and the blue cobalt. If you go with those 3 I'll do 1m to 5-6females of the yellow labs and cobalts and 1m to10fm of the demasoni.

Limestone is good for doing your rockwork. You can do 3 seperate Rock piles so each claims there own. I feed omega one super veggie pellets.

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you so much!!

11. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Good luck on your tank!!! :)

12. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks BamBam:)
    I have made the executive decision to turn this into a biotope tank!
    After a little digging I found that granite is the main rock in Lake Malawi, I'm going to a landscaping store tomorrow to get some. I also read that Val's are the only commercialy available plant that is found there, so we will be attempting Val's. If it doesn't work I can transfer them to another tank.
    I'm thinking of switching over to pool filter sand as well, thoughts? Normally I hate white sand, but I think it'll look good in here.
    For stock we decided on
    1 M 5-6 F yellow labs
    1 M 5-6 F cobalts
    1 M 10 F demasoni
    1 BN pleco(this might change depending on species available)
    I also read to have algae growing on the rocks for them to snack on, is this correct?

13. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Before you buy your fish you could let your lights stay on 24/7 for a few days to start algae growth for your pleco. I really like the fish you chose too! I looked them up and they are gorgeous!! :D

14. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Awesome idea! What do you think of a green phantom pleco? I read the minimum tank size is 50 gallons.
    The tank is kind of being rushed together. I'm hoping to have it set up by tomorrow night! Were going to the keys for over a week, and on the way back we drive through Miami. There's this huge fish store there called Tropical Fish Miami.
    Here's their site- http://tropicalfishmiami.com/aquarium-fish/
    I've been there once before and it was incredible! Anyways, were getting all the fish from there at once *face palm* I'm going to use some seeded media and a huge bottle of either TSS or stability(I've never used stability before) and hope it works. This place is 3 hours away, otherwise we would be getting them in sets. I'm hoping I can convince him to get a couple extra fish for my other tanks lol. Fingers crossed!

15. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Granite looks awesome but can get expensive that's why I recommend limestone. I like using dark sand in my tank it makes the fish pop more especially if the rockwork is dark too. Vals didn't survive my tanks but GL. I have barely any algea on my tank and they do fine. I do have a L200 in my 125g mbuna tank and he is doing great.

16. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you:)
    I guess I'll see what happens when we get there. I might have to go with limestone.

17. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

Im not sure ive never heard of them. If anything ask ur LFS what a good small pleco for a 100. Something that catches ur eye ;) #Fingerscrossed!!!!

18. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG]
    Got the rocks today! Updates when the tank is up and running:)

19. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Look like the one I use :)

20. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

[​IMG]
    How does this look? I will probably change it when I go to put them in the tank, make them more like piles.
    They are "Mexican river rocks", plus two pieces of sparkly slate I wanted I'm so excited!!