Portable RO Suggestions, recommendations?

clk89

HI there,

My water is on the extreme side of hard. It has been suggested to me to use RO water mixed in with my tap water. I have a couple questions about them.

My hardness info is this:
PH: 8.2
KH 14 or 15 drops (couldn't tell which when I did it)
GH 21 drops

I also live in an apartment so I can't install a RO system to the actual pipes under the sink. I was looking at portable RO systems, these install via the faucet right?

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a portable RO system?

Is there anything else I should know, or need to use along with the RO?

Coradee

Bumping this up for you

Dragones5150918

CindiL.....She got one for her son who went to college. I can't remember the name.

As for me, I bought the pitcher type RO called Zero Water at Home Dept for 40 bucks. I actually got it for my son to drink from, but once in a while I'll add some of the water from it to my tap water.

CindiL

The one for my son was not an R/O unit, it was just a 5 stage filter unit

clk89

@CindiL.....She got one for her son who went to college. I can't remember the name.

As for me, I bought the pitcher type RO called Zero Water at Home Dept for 40 bucks. I actually got it for my son to drink from, but once in a while I'll add some of the water from it to my tap water.

Thanks for your suggestion I'll look into it,

If anyone else has suggestions feel free to post them.

Mister Krabbs

How about a water distiller?

They make counter top units. Mix the distilled with tap. A little pricey but I think it'll pay for itself... look on amazon

Trailblazin02

I use a bulk reef supply unit and have an adapter that I use. I put a Y splitter on my washing machine cold water side and run the drain off the ro unit with the washing machine drain line.

matsungit

In my opinion your water isn't bad at all. Plenty of KH that buffers acids. GH although high isn't too bad for most fish (depends on what fish, i.e. discus). Breeding could be a problem though. Otherwise don't worry about pH as long as it is stable and consistent. Consistency (re osmoregulation) is the key. I would recommend that you drip acclimate all new fish since your pH is on the high side. Osmotic shock is probably the most prevalent cause of new fish dying and incorrectly diagnosed that the fish was unhealthy.

Very High pH in tank but not from Tap Water

clk89

In my opinion your water isn't bad at all. Plenty of KH that buffers acids. GH although high isn't too bad for most fish (depends on what fish, i.e. discus). Breeding could be a problem though. Otherwise don't worry about pH as long as it is stable and consistent. Consistency (re osmoregulation) is the key. I would recommend that you drip acclimate all new fish since your pH is on the high side. Osmotic shock is probably the most prevalent cause of new fish dying and incorrectly diagnosed that the fish was unhealthy.

Very High pH in tank but not from Tap Water

Yup that was basically the conclusion, and I do drip acclimate. The fish have been doing fine for months now in main tank with just my tap water. I was never looking to breed fish so that wasn't an issue.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
MrMuggles
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views