20 Gallon Tank population size?

Nihinni

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi! So I'm working on my 20 gallon tank and right now I have a decent population of fish, but i know a few of the fish i have would probably like to be in a larger company that they currently are.
I have one bristle nosed pleco
1 male betta
2 phantom tetras
and 3 danios

I started off in I believe a 10 gallon tank with this mix but now they have all this extra space, I just want to make sure I don't over stock

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what kind of danios? You may have an issue with the betta as they aren't usually a community fish. Even if the betta isnt aggressive, they often get nipped on because of their long fins.

Nihinni

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
2 are normal zebra danios and i honestly don't remeber what the third, and they've all lived together for about a year now. My betta seems to be doing fine with them and they don't pick on him. I did a lot of research before I added fish into the tank because it started with the pleco and the betta

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Nihinni,
I agree with Jetajockey about the zebras. You should add 3 or 4 more zebra danios to make them happy & secure, but keep an eye on them because they are notorious fin nippers. My dominant Zebra was a pain in the :;bb , until my biggest Buenos Aires tetra tore into her. Now she just bullies the other zebras. As far as bristlenose plecos, everything I've seen on them is 20 gallons for the 1st & 10 gallons for each one after.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom