Populating Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Roger Galburt, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Roger Galburt New Member Member

I have a 4-week old tank with live rock and live sand. Chemistry has been in normal for at least 3 of the 4 weeks. about 2 weeks ago put I put in 2 clowns and last week 6 snails and 3 very small hermits. Should I or could I put in more fish inverts or corals. What would be the next fish to put in?

Thanks

2. Fishygirl1219 Valued Member Member

How big is the tank?

3. Roger Galburt New Member Member

100 gal

4. Nart Well Known Member Member

Hi Roger,

When you say, "chemistry has been normal for at least 3-4 weeks" can you elaborate more on that?
    I have looked through your profile and it looks like you just started this hobby. Do you know of the nitrogen cycle and is your tank cycled already?

This will help on what else to advise you on in terms of stocking.

Thanks.

5. Roger Galburt New Member Member

I think I\understand the N cycle. Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite are 0 and have never had a spike. Other values are in the range published. I do notice some brown stuff on the sand and rocks which I was told was diatoms.

6. James17 Well Known Member Member

If you are cycled you would show some Nitrates, at least a little.

7. Roger Galburt New Member Member

So I guess I should wait till this happens But then how would you add creatures?

8. Nart Well Known Member Member

Are you running a skimmer or refugium of any sort?

It's kind of hard to say if your tank is cycled or not because of the water volume of the tank. 2 fishes and a few inverts would take a long time to produce enough ammonia to be able to register any reading.

How many pounds of live rock did you put in? And where did you get the live rocks from? I am asking, because if it's a good aged live rock your chances of a quick cycle are pretty high.

I personally would wait at least 2 months before adding anything else. Reason is because, we are not sure if the tank is cycled. If it is not cycled and you add more fishes in it, you run the chances of an Ammonia spike during the process and you could possibly lose everything in it.

If you have any friends that can hold the fishes and inverts for you. You can manually add ammonia in the tank to 2PPM to see how quickly it converts over to Nitrates. If you check 24 hours later and the parameters are Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, and Nitrate = < 1+ then you should be cycled and ready to stock more fishes and inverts in the tank. Just make sure your pH, dKH, and Salinity is in check before adding anything.

9. Roger Galburt New Member Member

Thanks for the info. Must be around 30 +/- lbs of good live rock (purple stuff) from good LFS.