Popping Bug Problem

Carolyn Underwood

HI Everyone!
This afternoon I found hundreds (if not thousands) of tiny black bugs, smaller than fleas, popping up and down on top of the water and clinging to the sides of the aquarium right above the water line. I have tried to use a damp paper towel to remove them as they jump onto the side of the aquarium but they are incredibly fast poppers and I am not having much success. Is this some kind of fish parasite? I noticed they were also numerous of these bugs sitting on top of the water lettuce. My tank is a community tank with around 20 small Platy and Tetra fish in it. Anybody have any idea what this critter can be???

A201

They are probably "Springtails". Harmless, but certainly a nuisance.

Carolyn Underwood

Thank you, A201. I got a photo, but if you can't enlarge it any, it might not be worth a look. These bugs look like tiny beetles.

Attachments

• P1010094.JPG
    P1010094.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 57

A201

I'm not sure what type bugs those are. Sorry.

Carolyn Underwood

I am so afraid they might get on my fish and kill them. It's my largest tank (37g) and has live plants and driftwood in it. Do you think I will have to remove all fish, boil the driftwood and change out the substrate and refill the tank? I have seen my fish eat one of these tiny things and then spit it out. I don't think the largest one I see is bigger than a grain of salt.

A201

I doubt that the bugs will do any harm. Probably going to need a fine mesh net to scood the bugs out. They look like some type of hard shell beatle. Not very digestable for the fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamieLu
Replies
Views
alexluna
Replies
Views
Dolfan
Replies
Views