Popeye???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Cole101, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Cole101Valued MemberMember

I just got back from the fish store and picked up an albino birchir. Got him/her acclimated and put in the tank. This is when I noticed one of my Oscars eye bulging out. Did a quick google search and I think he might have popeye. Need your guys opinion on this cuz I might just be over reacting but here’s a pic of em. IMG_3692.JPG

2. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Looks like popeye but is that a albino bichir? looks like a oscar

3. Cole101Valued MemberMember

Lol sorry yea no need to put that first but in that’s my Oscar

Oh and here are my stockings in the tank and readings. 2 tiger Oscars(around 5 in) 5 silver dollars 1 green terror and 2 red parrots and 1 very new albino birchir. Got this tank about two months ago where it was already cycled. Once all the readings were down at zero I put the fish in about 1.5-1 months ago. I unfortunately don’t have an amonua test kit (getting one soon) but here are my no3 and no2 ratings. No2 is .1 and no3 is 5 doing a water change tommorow any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What size tank is this?

Could be from an injury or poor water quality. I'd do a large water change today, too.

You have stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them.

5. Cole101Valued MemberMember

This tank is a 150 gallon tank have to go to school but after school I’ll do a water change.

Oh one more thing my filtration is two atman canister filters each running 2700lph.

6. Cole101Valued MemberMember

Just wanted to update I have done a water change will test the water a little later today. I feel the eye has gotten a bit worse and has some sort of infection Image1524575590.035078.jpg

Do you think I should go to the pet store and get meds or keep on doing every other day water changes?

7. Cole101Valued MemberMember

The pop eye has seem to gotten worse. He hasn’t lost his appetite and I’m doing bi daily water changes. Any suggestions on what I should do? Image1524920933.224041.jpg

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Might be time to treat him with an antibiotic. Do you have a tank you can separate him into?

9. Cole101Valued MemberMember

mmm no i dont i have a 5 gallon but i havent set it up yet. I think i should just treat the whole tank got some anti worm biodic stuff today set up a heater and ill update you soon

10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

A 5 gal isn't big enough to QT an adult oscar, ad I don't think you should treat the whole tank, especially with the stuff you bought. What is it? Why are you treating with a dewormer? That's not going to help his eye.

11. Cole101Valued MemberMember

IMG_3749.JPG this is the stuff we got

the pic isnt to good but it looked like something was eating at his eye and so i figured that it must be worms :/

Oh and buy the way he is not an adult yet still juvenile probably around 5-6 in

12. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I don't think it's worms, and I don't think those meds will help.

I still think a 5 gal is too small. Can you get a food safe tub or container that is bigger? Or a bigger tank?

If you're going to treat with anything, I'd try an antibiotic.

13. Cole101Valued MemberMember

hmm ok can you recommend anything and what do you think it might be?

14. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I don't know what you have available, but I'd QT in a larger container and treat with an antibiotic.

15. Cole101Valued MemberMember

cant get a good pic of it but on the inside of the tank theres this small white "worm" like thing going around about 1mm size what could that be? cant get a pic of it to.

16. Cole101Valued MemberMember

IMG_3750.JPG

But blurry but hopefully u get the idea

17. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

The worm in the tank is very unlikely to be parasitic. Likely a detritus worm or planaria, not harmful to your oscar.

18. Cole101Valued MemberMember

hmm ok thank you. Had the temp at 24 before now turned up at around 30. In another tank of mine that had ich it was good to have the heat up im assuming the same in this situation?

19. Cole101Valued MemberMember

And about the container the largest thing i probally have is a bath tub :/ other than that i got loke 4-5 gallon buckets

20. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

No, don't turn the heat up. Heat doesn't work for everything. Heat can be worse for bacterial infections.

Can you go out and buy a plastic tote or a bigger tank? Just a 5 gal is tiny for a 6" fish.