Popeye Treatment

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Allison86, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Allison86

Allison86New MemberMember

Hey everyone! I believe my betta has Popeye. He’s in a 5 gallon planted tank set up that’s cycled. Has filter sponge and heated to 78 f. I noticed yesterday one of his eyes has a white ring around his eyeball, the other is fine. I took him out of the tank and did a 100% water change. I checked his water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. All came back 0. I’m treating him with 1 tablespoon of Epson salt (dissolved first) and a dose of kanaplex yesterday. I dimmed his tank light to help stress and changed the sponge filter into a air stone bubbler temporary. He doesn’t act sick at all. He’s still his spunky self and eats fine. Just I have to say before he got this, he is a tail biter. That’s why I put a lot of plants in his tank to hopefully hide his reflection. It’s helped some but I still notice him flaring at his reflection. I can’t move his tank anywhere else in my room. I thought about getting that plastic material meant for tank dividers and putting it against the glass. He does have an aggressive personality so it doesn’t surprise me he extra territorial. Also he doesn’t have anything sharp in his tank. All plants and river stones other than a silk betta bed leaf. Ok so my question is, am I doing the right thing so far? And any recommendations for a tail biter. I have pictures. I can post more pictures if needed. He’s my pretty boy and hope he will be ok.

Attached Files:

2. Jayd976

Jayd976Well Known MemberMember

My brother in laws Cortez angel (saltwater) just had severe Popeye after a couple treatments of I believe tetracycline it was all better.

3. OP
    OP
    Allison86

Allison86New MemberMember

I’ve heard of tetracycline too. I’m going to do my homework on other medications too. Today’s the day to use second dose of kanaplex but I don’t see any improvement. he still acts fine. Perhaps I’m not giving it enough time. What other medicine should I consider?