"popeye" Treatment For My Gold Ram

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so i have a pair of rams in a 10 gallon set at 82F, theyre regular spawners. anyhow i noticed the my Gold female's right eye was very popped out overnight it seemed. the eye was protruding out several millimeters(which is a lot for a tiny fish) and was lined red around the outside, it looked quite severe but it was intact. after diagnosing things, i eliminated disease, parasites, etc and reached the conclusion that it was most likely an injury.
Day 1 - i added a rounded tsp of iodized table salt. no change.
Day 2 - raised temp to 84F. no change
Day 3 - added a leveled tsp of Epsom salt
Day 4 - noticed a vast improvement, red rim was diminishing, but eye still very swollen.
Day 5 - eye almost back to normal. and set temp back to 82F
now i must do official water changes tomorrow on Day6 thru to Day10. replacing 1.5 gallon daily. so i dont mess with the ion and other chemical concentrations too much.

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
not sure, guess work, i suppose i guess right a lot, i havent done a water change in like 2.5 years, and havent had it tested in like a over a year... what ever my tap water is plus prime conditioner. and the substrate in my tank, miracle grow topsoil + fine mesh sand + some small pebbles + lava rock and slate for anti-erosion tiered effects. i always see cherry shrimp(not in every tank due to some tanks having more predators than others), daphnia, and other micro critters that require clean water.

i just took this picture. this is at least 5x better than before. all the red is gone, swelling significantly decrease. i think Bones would be proud; practicing medicine on fish.

Attachments

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL can help you.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
no help was needed. the problem is resolving so i was merely documenting my experience and procedure in forum. although youve reminded me to be a good scientist and get all my water tested since ive made a change in procedure. my other tanks should serve as baseline for the tank i treated. i do enjoy collating data.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kasshan said:
not sure, guess work, i suppose i guess right a lot, i havent done a water change in like 2.5 years, and havent had it tested in like a over a year...
Is this a typo? the 2.5 years? I'd buy your own test kit, the API Master Test Kit and test ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates of both tap and tank. I'm afraid to know the nitrates are in that tank unless its highly planted?

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm quite confident ammonia nitrate nitrite is zero. Not a typo, I just clean the water in a different way. Waterchanges are work to me so I never do them until situations like this. And yes well planted, lots of light and nitrogen loving plants. I figure the water is clean cuz I always see daphnia and cherry shrimp nymphs. I have not done a waterchange on one particular tank since I set it up 5 years ago.
But we are digressing, the ram's eye is almost back to normal. Eye is only slightly puffy. I'll have to change out 1.5 gallon tonite. I'll probably buy a test kit when I move from my apartment and have to reset my tanks until then, so I'll drag myself to pets art for now.
Since I like to practice the scientific method, I'm unlikely to change my procedure at this point since everything is static and no issues.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Huh, well if you're scientifically minded I'd think you'd like having your own test kit and knowing what your parameters are. At a minimum I'd take in a water sample and have someone test it and compare it to your tap also.

When you say you clean the water in a different way then water changes, what exactly do you do?

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well ye during the experimental stage I used to test my water a lot. I was trying to dial it in essentially in keeping fish and water for 16years, I didn't figure out my current method until 7 years ago and changed my philosophy. I keep water, the fish just happen to live in it. I'd know if something was wrong with my water because I keep wild caught elephant noses. not to forget a host of other fishes and such. Basically I leave my lights on 18hrs a day. discard duck weed every few weeks and rinse my filters when they get clogged and leave a dish with algae tab overnight and then put all the snails in a cup of vinegar and discard. that is cleaning for me. water changes seem absurd to me since I only do them when I'm setting up a new tank by draining another for an instantly cycled new tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom