Popeye... This Doesn’t Make Sense..

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Frozen One, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Can somebody explain to me what the most common cause of Popeye is? I’m reading online and everybody says different stuff. Some say nitrite, some say fish tuberculosis, some say fish fighting can get it? I don’t understand how there can me more than one most common cause lol

2. AegnisValued MemberMember

Popeye isn't a disease itself, it's more of a condition. It can have lots of causes because all it is is the fish's eye popping out. It can have a bacterial origin, or it can happen from injury. So lots of things can cause it!

3. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Usually, popeye is a secondary infection. it's a symptom from another disease.

4. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

I know it’s not a disease but that’s like me going on web MD when I have a cough and it tells me I have aids or something. “Well if your fish has Popeye, it could have fish tuberculosis” like really what are the chances of that

5. AegnisValued MemberMember

It is a possibility. It's a symptom of many diseases. Doesn't mean your fish necessarily has that disease if it has popeye. That's why there's multiple symptoms for each disease to narrow down what's wrong :)

As for the most common cause, that depends on your situation. Got a community tank with lots of fish that like to nip at each other? Might be caused by fighting. Not cleaning your tank? Might be caused by dirty water. Symptoms of tuberculosis? Probably that then. Popeye is never the only symptom you see -- that's what helps you figure out what's wrong.

6. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Could missing one or 2 weekly water changes cause it ? Easily?

7. AegnisValued MemberMember

Consecutively? Possibly. It would depend on other factors as well.

8. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

Such as?

9. AegnisValued MemberMember

Tank size, how many fish in the tank, stress levels of the fish, temperature, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels... missing 2 consecutive water changes in a 5g or 10g tank is very different than missing them in a 100g tank.

10. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

It’s a 3 gallon with only a female Betta in it fully cycled

11. AegnisValued MemberMember

Yeah, skipping two consecutive water changes for a 3g could certainly cause a bacteria infection. I'd say it's most likely caused by nitrate levels in that case -- tuberculosis is unlikely and it's obviously not fighting with another fish.

12. Frozen OneValued MemberMember

I appreciate all of your responses and I love that you respond so quickly lol

13. AegnisValued MemberMember

Haha you're welcome! I just have nothing better to do than stalk the forums and hope I can help somehow. Hope your betta feels better!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice