Popeye... This Doesn’t Make Sense..

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can somebody explain to me what the most common cause of Popeye is? I’m reading online and everybody says different stuff. Some say nitrite, some say fish tuberculosis, some say fish fighting can get it? I don’t understand how there can me more than one most common cause lol

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Popeye isn't a disease itself, it's more of a condition. It can have lots of causes because all it is is the fish's eye popping out. It can have a bacterial origin, or it can happen from injury. So lots of things can cause it!

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Popeye isn't a disease itself, it's more of a condition. It can have lots of causes because all it is is the fish's eye popping out. It can have a bacterial origin, or it can happen from injury. So lots of things can cause it!
I know it’s not a disease but that’s like me going on web MD when I have a cough and it tells me I have aids or something. “Well if your fish has Popeye, it could have fish tuberculosis” like really what are the chances of that ****

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know it’s not a disease but that’s like me going on web MD when I have a cough and it tells me I have aids or something. “Well if your fish has Popeye, it could have fish tuberculosis” like really what are the chances of that ****
It is a possibility. It's a symptom of many diseases. Doesn't mean your fish necessarily has that disease if it has popeye. That's why there's multiple symptoms for each disease to narrow down what's wrong

As for the most common cause, that depends on your situation. Got a community tank with lots of fish that like to nip at each other? Might be caused by fighting. Not cleaning your tank? Might be caused by dirty water. Symptoms of tuberculosis? Probably that then. Popeye is never the only symptom you see -- that's what helps you figure out what's wrong.

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a possibility. It's a symptom of many diseases. Doesn't mean your fish necessarily has that disease if it has popeye. That's why there's multiple symptoms for each disease to narrow down what's wrong

As for the most common cause, that depends on your situation. Got a community tank with lots of fish that like to nip at each other? Might be caused by fighting. Not cleaning your tank? Might be caused by dirty water. Symptoms of tuberculosis? Probably that then. Popeye is never the only symptom you see -- that's what helps you figure out what's wrong.
Could missing one or 2 weekly water changes cause it ? Easily?

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s a 3 gallon with only a female Betta in it fully cycled
Yeah, skipping two consecutive water changes for a 3g could certainly cause a bacteria infection. I'd say it's most likely caused by nitrate levels in that case -- tuberculosis is unlikely and it's obviously not fighting with another fish.

Frozen One

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, skipping two consecutive water changes for a 3g could certainly cause a bacteria infection. I'd say it's most likely caused by nitrate levels in that case -- tuberculosis is unlikely and it's obviously not fighting with another fish.
I appreciate all of your responses and I love that you respond so quickly lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom