popeye needs an exorsism!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wierdoinabowl3498

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
just yesterday my female dalmation lyretail was swimming on her side and she couldn't swim straight. she was just laying upside down on the substrate with her tail touching her head. and a piece of her tail came off. she didnt bite it though it just kinda fell off. i moved her to the only tank that was open and left the light off. i didnt feed her this morning either. she's just like curled up on the substrate by a bamboo plant. i cant find it described in any of my books, i dont know what to do! help me.

throwthesand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If a piece of her tail came off then you might have fin rot. It is pretty harmless unless it spreads to the body, but even then it can still be treated. My betta had fin rot and some Melafix cured him in a week . You should also check the nitrate, nitrogen, and ammonia levels because I know that can affect fish negatively.
Hope she gets better!

OP
W

wierdoinabowl3498

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i did check them...all normal. why is she swimming in circles though? its like she desperately tries to uncurl herself but she just can't do it. i talked to the petstore and he said he's never heard of it and it might be best to euthanize her. i dont want to do that because she is pregnant with her 1st drop.

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry for your loss it's horrible when our aquatic babies pass and there was nothing we could do. I'm sure you did your best for her and she had a happy life with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom