Popeye Issue Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Reefdweller, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Peeps I have a problem... One of my African Cichlids has popeye? In all my years keeping fish I have never had this condition. I read back some on here based on a search for popeye but I really couldnt find a clear definition of what the best method is to fix him. I understand its fluid build up behind the eye, not so much a disease but a condition. I even read something about using epson salt once isolated? I really have no isolation tank at the moment but I am wondering what my options are. I do not see the condition with any of the rest of my fish. What is the best way to treat this? I also read where the condition comes from bad water but that cant be the case with mine. My water is great and all my levels are good, great filtration, good diets.. so I am stumped on what could cause this as well as how to move forward to fix the problem.

:confused:

2. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Id QT him for starters, for medicating purposes. Popeye normally happens in substandard water conditions, have you kept up on water changes and temps and the like?
    As for the fish, normally clean water and proper conditions fixes it. If that doesnt work then a Melafix treatment may work.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

When it's unilateral, popeye is often a result from an injury and is bacterial in nature

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I have successfully used API Triple Sulfa to treat popeye. The fish lived for months after treatment. I did treat in a QT tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice