Popeye In My Betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by BETTALADIES, Apr 15, 2018.

1. B

BETTALADIES New Member Member

Hi all,
    Came back from a week vacation to find my daughters betta sluggish and with a small bulge in his left eye.

I had him in a ten gallon with some tetras. The tetras are fine but I did a full water change and gave the Betta a salt bath in a small container (as per instructions I found online).
    He seemed to move around quite a bit more after the salt bath.

I put him in a 1 gallon hospital tank and ordered medicine and a 5 watt heater. I'm using Sulfaplex.

He now has it in both eyes but looks more active.
    How long should I wait until I dispose of him (which I'll then need advice on how to do properly/ humanely).

Attached Files:

2. -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

Is he eating? Can he swim okay? Is the only problem his eyes?
    If he is eating and swimming you don't need to euthanize IMO unless he stops eating. If things do get worse and you want to euthanize you have options, you can freeze/boil but that is painful because it isn't instant or you can use clove oil which is usually what is easiest.
    I wish you the best though and hope you won't need to do this and he can get well:)

3. -Sofia-

Is he eating? If he still is and swimming okay you don't need to euthanize IMO, but if it gets worse you have some options, clove oil which is painless or boil/freeze which does take time and is painful or cutting off the head which is instant but traumatizing to yourself. (I'm sorry I said about the head thing but I thought you should know:()
    I hope you won't need to do this and he gets well soon.

Edit: sorry I posted twice but it wasn't coming up at first and thought I deleted it all so I typed it again

4. OP
    OP
    B

He isn't eating :( .. though he looks a lot less sluggish.

Do you know how often I can give the Epsom bath? I wonder if an Epsom bath would interact negatively wth the medicine.

5. -Sofia-

I'm not certain how often you can but I've heard of people doing that daily, is he just sitting on the bottom? Is he having trouble getting air from the top?

6. OP
    OP
    B

No he's moving around. He's been on the bottom and the top. His eyes look horrible though

7. -Sofia-

I read you could give a bath daily for 15 mins but it would be very stressful for the fish, maybe you could try every other day and see how it progresses but I don't know if it would be healthy for him.:(

8. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I'd be doing daily 10min epsom salt baths as well as the meds in the tank. Give it at least 3 days to see if he improves before euthanizing him.

9. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Do the salt for 15 minutes any more and it can hurt your Betta more since bettas are freshwater fish not salt water fish
    Sources:  

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Keep the water really clean, daily water changes really help!

11. OP
    OP
    B

Won't that stress him? I was going to do it every three days along with the medication. I feel so bad, I have a new baby and I didn't change the water enough recently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice