Popeye In Molly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by babyshark24, Aug 22, 2019.

1. babyshark24

babyshark24New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    My female dalmatian molly's eye is swollen and cloudy. It's just one, I'm guessing from an injury? (when I was cleaning the tank she leaped out of the container i keep them in for cleaning and spent a few seconds break dancing on the carpet.)
    If no one tells me otherwise, I'll proceed with dipping her in a 3% aquarium salt solution for five minute a day, watching her closely in the dip.

Sick fish template
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? 3 months
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 80 degrees F (warm but it's hot where I live)
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    3 mollies- one male and two females
    1 male platy
    4 mystery snails
    1 bristlenose pleco
    5 black skirt tetras
    4 amazon swords, 1 crested java fern, dwarf hairgrass

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Once/twice a week
    How much of the water do you change? 20-40%
    What do you use to treat your water? Tetra safestart
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes, the pleco poops a lot so I vacuum his corner a lot

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
    What do you use to test the water? Aqueon Master Kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 15ppm
    pH: 7.6

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish? Either 2 minutes of tetra tropical flakes and half an algae pellet or a pinkie-sized portion of my homemade food (freeze-dried shrimp, red seaweed, greens, calcium supplement, etc set into gelatin)
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra tropical flakes and aqueon algae tabs (switching to omega one once they run out)
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Homemade food is refrigerated.

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 2 months
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Right eye is swollen to about 150%, dull white clouds. One eye only.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Healthy.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? She's a strange fish- kind of silly and not that smart but nothing out of the ordinary.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

For larger water changes when I move the rocks around to get under them I like to take all of the livestock out and put them in an isolation tub (about 1 gallon) for about 20-40 minutes. I've tested and found that they go back to normal, less skittish behavior after a large water change if I do this. I was moving the gang back into their tank after I was done and when I scooped up my dalmatian, she took a flying leap onto the carpeted floor. She spent a few seconds wiggling around and then going still before she was returned to the tank safely. She was acting just fine until maybe a week later when the eye on the fallen size began to swell. Right now she's acting normal and the swelling has not changed. The eye is bulged to about 150-200% the normal size with cloudy white streaks in the clear fluid.

I'm going to go ahead with a salt dip right away tonight if no one says otherwise. A salt dip on one very small fish won't hurt my live plants, right? Thanks!

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,532
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Got a photo?

3. OP
    OP
    babyshark24

babyshark24New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    SUPER hard to get the right angle, so I took a video and got the frame where you can see the comparison best. Left side is the infected side and the side she fell on.
    Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 1.10.03 PM.

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +493
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Epsom salt baths (1/2 a teaspoon per gallon dissolved in separate container, add fish for no more than 15 minutes once or twice a day) reduces swelling. I've used Paraguard to clear up cloudy eye/infection, but you might need something internal since the impact could have caused internal damage that evolved into infection. Medicated antibiotic food or Kanaplex (kanamycin) can do that.

A regular salt dip won't be (very, if at all) effective for the swelling.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019