Popeye In Diamond Tetra

Ioana Dog

Member
Hi! I have a diamond tetra that has one popeye and I treated it but now it’s back. She was in a 15 gallon tank with another female diamond tetra as temporary housing until my 45 was ready for more fish. It happened after I moved her and the other fish didn’t get sick. She’s been very active and eating well. I put her in a 10 gallon hospital tank with her tankmate to be treated. I treated with kanaplex as directed for 3 doses but had to do a water change after the treatment because it stressed them out. The swelling in her eye went down but I could see it was damaged. I waited 3 days to make sure they were both ok then moved her to the 45 with her tankmate. I was told I could add 5 at a time now that it was cycled and stabled with resulted in a bad bacterial bloom so I moved the 3 cories, changed the water and added stability. The tank is fine now but she has popeye in just that one eye again. My hospital tank is occupied with new fish I’m quarantining
IMG_1268.jpg
so I left her in the 45 and last night I dosed with paragaurd but I’m wondering if I’m doing the right thing.
 

Dave125g

Member
The diamond tetra is perhaps my favorite schooling fish. Sorry she's sick. Pop eye is a symptom of an underlining infection. Usually bacterial. Paraguard is used to treat parasitic infections. Your going to need an antibiotic.
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Should I isolate her or just treat the entire tank? What antibiotic do you recommend?
 

Dave125g

Member
Ioana Dog said:
Should I isolate her or just treat the entire tank? What antibiotic do you recommend?
I would quarantine, due to the fact that a good antibiotic will also kill off the beneficial bacteria. You don't want a cycle crash in your main tank.
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Dave125g said:
I would quarantine, due to the fact that a good antibiotic will also kill off the beneficial bacteria. You don't want a cycle crash in your main tank.
Oh. Ok. Thanks!
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I’m helping her the best I can.

She is on a 10 gallon by herself with an air stone and HOB that just has a sponge and ammonia remover chips. I’m going to treat her with kanaplex and salt again. How long should I keep her in there once her eye looks better? I don’t want her to get too stressed being by herself but I also don’t want to move her too soon. It’s been 2 weeks since she first hurt her eye and it never went to the other eye and none of the other fish are sick. How long until I can add more fish to the 45 where she was? I have multiple small tanks and have two 45 g tanks I want to move fish into so I can get rid of some tanks. (I have two 45g, two 20g, three 15g, two 10 gallon and three 5 gallon that are for bettas).
 

Dave125g

Member
As long as the 45 is fully cycled and no other fish are sick you can add more right away. As far as your sick diamond, I would give her 2 weeks after she's all healed up.
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Dave125g said:
As long as the 45 is fully cycled and no other fish are sick you can add more right away. As far as your sick diamond, I would give her 2 weeks after she's all healed up.
Thank you!!!!
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Do you want - really can you take - 3 male diamond tetras? Totally free. Not sure how to ship them though
 

Dave125g

Member
Ioana Dog said:
Do you want - really can you take - 3 male diamond tetras? Totally free. Not sure how to ship them though
I have a school of 15 in my 125 gallon. I'm sure I can fit 3 more males.
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Dave125g said:
I have a school of 15 in my 125 gallon. I'm sure I can fit 3 more males.
Yay! How do I get them to you?
 
  • Moderator

Coradee

Moderator
Member
Please remember that to trade both members need to have a minimum 50 post count
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Coradee said:
Please remember that to trade both members need to have a minimum 50 post count
Oh. Guess I haven’t hit that yet (don’t know if replies count). I don’t have room for them now because they keep picking on my other fish and I’d rather not buy a new tank.
 

Dave125g

Member
Ioana Dog said:
Oh. Guess I haven’t hit that yet (don’t know if replies count). I don’t have room for them now because they keep picking on my other fish and I’d rather not buy a new tank.
They can be mean if not in large numbers.
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
Dave125g said:
They can be mean if not in large numbers.
Oh. The males are hanging out in a 10 gallon until they can be re-homed. I love the females but I want my tanks to be peaceful and not cause me anxiety. Do you know if bleeding heart tetras are the same way?
 

Dave125g

Member
Ioana Dog said:
Oh. The males are hanging out in a 10 gallon until they can be re-homed. I love the females but I want my tanks to be peaceful and not cause me anxiety. Do you know if bleeding heart tetras are the same way?
Most tetras can be nippy with each other.
 
  • Thread Starter

Ioana Dog

Member
A neighbor is going to take the male diamond tetras. Yay!
 

Dave125g

Member
Ioana Dog said:
A neighbor is going to take the male diamond tetras. Yay!
There ya go.
 
Top Bottom