Popeye Again...help, Please!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Things are getting better in my part of the aquarium world. However, my female black moor had popeye really bad and I finally got it cleared up, or so I thought. She is the only female in the tank with 2 males (one was suppose to be a female) and one juvenile who I am hoping is a female. No room for anymore fish in a 55G. Water parameters all good, 0,0, and 20. I change water on Wednesdays and clean tank with gravel vac on Sundays. Treated her with Kanamycin which did some good but didn't clear all the way. Then used Melafix (many hate it but has done good for me). Eye cleared up except for scratch on lens. Stopped using 2 days ago. Today, she has popeye again...not as bad, but same eye again. I noticed she has some scales missing too and witnessed "Romeo" chasing her yesterday. Does that ever stop after it starts? Anyway, I just treated the tank with Prazipro this morning for preventative measures just in case but I know the eye is a result of injury by being chased by the males. Lots of information here. Does anyone have suggestions on how to clear this up permanently? She may have permanent vision loss in that eye from abrasion but need to clear the fluid out. Before anyone suggests moving her, I want to add that they have all been together since small juvies and they are a family. I think it would be worse to move her and that would also mean another tank for me to deal with (already have 4). One of the tanks is a 20G long with babies in it at the moment. I could put her in that after the babies leave but I don't think she would be happy alone. Sorry for the length of this post. Suggestions, please on how to get her eye cleared up.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem. I can put her in a QT tank when I get home from work. I have 2 not being used at the moment. Would you treat again with the Melafix since it did the best or try Kanaflex again? Or other suggestions?

ljg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would personally go for the Melafix since it did the best. Then if it still is not completely clear, use the Kanaflex again. Another medicine you could use is API E.M. Erythromycin

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would use a multipronged approach because it's been a reoccurring issue. I would leave her in quarentine for a while past the conclusion of treatment to make sure it's well and truly cleared up.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really appreciate the advice. I can usually figure things out but this is my firt dealing with popeye. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One more question, IYO, would it be alright to remove her from the tank being treated with Prazipro or should I wait to treat her for the popeye? The QT will have fresh water and I can move over some cycled media. I hate to let it go too long. What do you think?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just started it this morning, thinking perhaps the popeye was due to a parasite but don't really think so. Just getting desperate. I know the eye was injured because I could see the scrape on it.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think there are any contraindication against treating with a wormer plus an antibiotic. You could, if you wanted, continue worming in quarentine.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great, again, thanks so much for all of the help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom