pop eye????

1. BBisbee Member Member

My betta has pop eye. how can i treat him? i do not have a hospital tank and his tank has got malaysian trumpet snails that i dont want to hurt.... Please any suggestions.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I successfully treated popeye in my betta with daily water changes in a cycled tank. Severe or old infections will likely need meds.

Can you give us some info on your setup?

Tank size?
    Filtered and heated?
    Water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

3. BBisbee Member Member

5 gallon, filtered, heated. ammonia .25, nitrites 0, nitrates 5. i just did a 90% water change. I use prime. My ph is a little high. 7.9 but has been that way for him. never fluctuates. his tank is kept at 80 f. he kept getting fin rot and now he has a bubble in his tail. not sure if he has pop eye but one seems slightly bigger than the other. should i just keep doing some daily water changes for a while? i also ordered some indian almond leaves. they should be here any day now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I cant get a good photo of the eye but I have been dealing with this with his fins. :(

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How often do you normally do water changes, and how much do you change?

Your tank isn't fully cycled if you have ammonia, and that may be causing some issues. I'd keep doing daily changes, but 50% will do.

Don't know what the bubble is though, sorry.

5. BBisbee Member Member

Usually 30% twice a week. I have been doing 50% water changes every day for the past week and have put indian almond leaves in the tank. I really want to avoid meds. Anything else I can do? He seems to feel slightly better. Bubble nesting even. But still looks like . Am I changing too much?

6. uncclewis Well Known Member Member

I will follow this because I just noticed that some of my loaches also have popeye! Sad... I have never had this before.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd keep up with the large, frequent changes. That should help.