Pop-eye....maybe?

Mickeycricky
Hey everyone,

My betta fish, Twinkle, has recently acquired a cloudy eye. Through my research, it seems like it might be the beginning of pop-eye, but I also read that they can get cataracts...? Just wondering if anyone can give me a better opinion, and maybe some remedies. I've seen a bunch of different medications for it, but I'm not sure which would be best. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how to medicate? Do I dose the entire tank? I just want to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good. I've included some pictures, a top-down view and a frontal view.

5c0831ea62b86b422a8b90379743a809.jpg

853aec13440df8b99b6253f4467ece68.jpg
Here are my parameters:
5.5 gallon lightly planted tank, just shy of a year old, inhabitants consist of Twinkle and 2 Nerite snails.
Temperature: 80°
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: ~7.4
I use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I noticed his eye maybe 4 or 5 days ago and have done one 75% water change and three consecutive 50% changes. I haven't seen any improvement. He is otherwise exhibiting normal activity levels, and he is still interested in food. Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement
Momgoose56
Hey everyone,

My betta fish, Twinkle, has recently acquired a cloudy eye. Through my research, it seems like it might be the beginning of pop-eye, but I also read that they can get cataracts...? Just wondering if anyone can give me a better opinion, and maybe some remedies. I've seen a bunch of different medications for it, but I'm not sure which would be best. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how to medicate? Do I dose the entire tank? I just want to make sure I'm not doing more harm than good. I've included some pictures, a top-down view and a frontal view.

5c0831ea62b86b422a8b90379743a809.jpg

853aec13440df8b99b6253f4467ece68.jpg
Here are my parameters:
5.5 gallon lightly planted tank, just shy of a year old, inhabitants consist of Twinkle and 2 Nerite snails.
Temperature: 80°
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
pH: ~7.4
I use the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

I noticed his eye maybe 4 or 5 days ago and have done one 75% water change and three consecutive 50% changes. I haven't seen any improvement. He is otherwise exhibiting normal activity levels, and he is still interested in food. Any help would be appreciated!
He definitely has popeye. See the white lines around the eyes plus the obvious bulge. Because it involves both eyes, I'd suspect an infection rather than an injury. The cloudyness is probably secondary to the infection. Start him on an antibiotic. Maracyn two is a good broad spectrum drug for popeye that will treat any internal infection as well. You can also do Epsom Salt baths to decrease the swelling. I'll refer you to Fanatic and Repolie for that dosing. The may have a better antibiotic recommendation as well.

Advertisement
Mickeycricky
Thank you very much for the advice. I went to a local fish store this afternoon to hopefully get some more information and they also recommended the Maracyn Two. In their experience, it has been very successful. I will be starting his treatment today and will update as necessary.

CheshireKat
Dissolve about 1/2 teaspoon per water gallon of Epsom salt in a separate container then add your fish for no more than 15 minutes to reduce swelling of the eye. Do this once or twice a day. See how he responds to that.
I used Paraguard for my betta's cloudy eye as it's not an antibiotic but still effective and thus my preferred first step in treating, as I prefer not using antibiotics unless absolutely.

Momgoose56
I used Paraguard for my betta's cloudy eye as it's not an antibiotic but still effective and thus my preferred first step in treating, as I prefer not using antibiotics unless absolutely.
Thanks for responding CheshireKat. I would agree with using an aldehyde if this was a singular problem and/or only affected one eye, but this fish has bilateral popeye as well as one cloudy eye. I think a hefty broad spectrum antibiotic would probably be the best, first go-to in this case.

CheshireKat
Thanks for responding CheshireKat. I would agree with using an aldehyde if this was a singular problem and/or only affected one eye, but this fish has bilateral popeye as well as one cloudy eye. I think a hefty broad spectrum antibiotic would probably be the best, first go-to in this case.
Yes, with a cloudy eye and Popeye, I agree, as something more serious is going on then a minor infection in one eye. I was just sharing my experience and thought. I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing

Advertisement
Momgoose56
Yes, with a cloudy eye and Popeye, I agree, as something more serious is going on then a minor infection in one eye. I was just sharing my experience and thought. I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing
You are allowed to disagree! It's a forum, that's what we do, discuss, debate, share, right? I just didn't know if you'd seen the eyes and knew the whole situation and I did, I admit, think you were suggesting paraguard instead of the antibiotic-I had to defend my case!

Mickeycricky
Hey everyone, quick update:

I bought the Maracyn 2 and went through the 5 day treatment period. Twinkle's eye started to heal almost immediately. He is back to his normal appearance. No cloudy eye and no swelling. He even made a couple bubble nests

Thank you so much for the help!

CheshireKat
Yay! Glad to hear it.

Sheldon13
Hey everyone, quick update:

I bought the Maracyn 2 and went through the 5 day treatment period. Twinkle's eye started to heal almost immediately. He is back to his normal appearance. No cloudy eye and no swelling. He even made a couple bubble nests

Thank you so much for the help!

That’s great!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tony M
Replies
Views
Mcsprutz
Replies
Views
Awesomeneptune