Poorly WC minnow

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Currently 90l tank containing 6 x WC minnows and 3 GC Minnows

water parameters as of 06.11.19 - Ammonia 0; PH, 8; nitrite, 0; nitrate, 2.5.

I'd be grateful for some advice on my minnows. Last week I lost one of my gold minnows for goodness knows what reason. He suddenly didn't appear for food and I found the sad remains a few hours later.

Now one of my WC minnows is behaving oddly. Yesterday I thought he had himself trapped in the plants and went to liberate him. He swam off although moving a little oddly. Last night I found him in a very strange arched position, tight against the side of the filter box. I felt sure he was already dead and went to net him out but he swam off again. This morning he was at the bottom of the tank in the same strange position with an arched spine. Again I thought he was dead and went to scoop him out and he swam off yet again. He looks very frail in comparison to the others in the tank.

I'm going to try and coax him into my fry net to avoid him getting trapped again but I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep OGWCMMs and have found that high temperatures in summer shorten lifespans (so I mitigate this by keeping them outdoors in summer), but otherwise they seem excellent and reliable fish.

However, after 2 years in my aquarium I have individual cases (not more than one at a time) of them becoming thin and faded away and been found dead if I did not euthanise them.

I don't expect they ever live much over 3 years with me but I haven't paid very careful attention to this aspect.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It may be the temp perhaps. I have them at 22/23deg. I'll try turning it down and see what happens

New Threads