Poorly Rescued Goldfish

1. Bogart16

Bogart16 Valued Member Member

I picked up a new friend tonight. I had been preparing a new tank over the last few weeks for goldfish. Yesterday, someone posted in a local aquarium facebook group about a black moor they were looking to give a new home. I picked him up tonight.

The previous owners named him Midas. Apparently, they had been keeping him in a 3 gallon tank for about a year. After I got him home and in the tank, I was able to get a good look at him. It looks like the gill cover on his one side is severely beat up. He's also pretty small for a year old goldfish, but that's to be expected given his previous living conditions.

I gave him some of a pea tonight and the plan is to get him on a solid diet of sinking pellets and veggies. There'll be lots of water changes until that injury clears up. Any other recommendations?

Wj1PgGR.jpg

p585Z8E.jpg

Mf9V9Pe.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Just a heads up, sometimes fish are born w/o gill plates, leaving their gills exposed. This is due to genetics and won't be fixed with time. He looks bright and alert though, so I think he will be fine in a few weeks. Glad to hear you've given him a proper home.

3. OP
    OP
    Bogart16

Bogart16 Valued Member Member

Good to know. I didn't even think about it possibly being a deformation. I'll message his previous owner and see what she knows. I was leaning toward injury only because it looks a little ragged on the edges. My phone was having a hard time getting a clear picture to show it.