Poorly platy

stevieb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've a platy fish that over the last 2/3 days o noticed his top fin to be down then this morning found him sitting on the bottom. Few hours later he looks bent over and swimming in circles at best.
I'm new to the fish hobby and been struggling to get my tank to cycle but been doing 25 to 50 % water changes every two days.
Today is the first time ive seen nitrites showing on my test. I've the api test kit.
Tank is only a 20lt, which I know is way to small for two platy fish. If I would of known what I know now I would of done things differently.
Is there anything I can do to help my platy out or is it to late?? Thanks.

Shadyrockstar91

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to the forum,

Don't worry about the overstock, I also overstocked my tank due to poor advice by the LFS! Platy's are fairly active middle swimmers so if they are just swimming in circles and or sitting at the bottom, it could be a couple of things.

What API test kit are you using? Strips or Fresh water master test kit. I would personally recommend the latter.

It could be a WQ issue, Ammonia poisoning (How are your other fish acting? Gasping for air at the surface?) Also they could have Swim Bladder Infection which can be treated fairly easily. Have you ever noticed them swimming upside down? Have a look at this link. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/how-to-solve-a-problem-like-swimbladder-disease.

Do a 50-70% Water change and add Seachem Prime which de-cloraintes the water and detoxifies Ammonia + Nirite for 24 hours so your filter can deal with it. I would suggest you have a filter rated for double the amount of water your aquarium can hold.

I hope someone more qualified can perhaps add to my answer.

stevieb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for replying, yes ive the fresh water master kit. I put some ammo lock in my tank for ammonia but obviously if you test after it still shows ammonia readings as it doesn't remove it, should of got prime instead at the time but once again I didn't know any better.
Regarding the swimming, yes upside down and round in circles with the body bent. I've put him in a quarentine tank now just in case but ive got to be honest I will be shocked if he's still alive in the morning. Fingers crossed. Will look at the link. Thanks

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What's the pH out of the tap and tank? If it's within .5 of each other, I'd do a near 80-90% water change to get that ammonia down because depending on your pH, it can be extremely toxic to fish. Unless the QT is cycled, it wouldn't be much better moving him there.

How are you rinsing your filter media during water changes? Have you replaced it at all? Most of the beneficial bacteria would reside in the media so it's best just to rinse it in removed tank water during water changes. Make sure to do a thorough gravel vac and pick up any uneaten food immediately. Could you be overfeeding? I'd feed once very other day until this tank is cycled.

Ammo Lock would be fine to use to detox the ammonia but doesn't do anything for nitrite so it would help to pick up Prime. You'd also want a bacteria supplement like Tetra SafeStart Plus or Seachem Stability to help cycle the tank.

Platies are high bioload fish which would make water parameters unstable in a tank that size. If you're unable to upgrade to a 10g minimum, I'd consider rehoming them and getting a more suitable fish like a betta.

stevieb

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will check my PH tomorrow as I'm not to sure and will follow it with a water change if required as recommended.
I clean my filter in the water removed from the tank, never Tap water!
I have been dosing with fluval bacteria cycle within the last week.
When I do a water change I do try to pick up the waste food I can see but I do need to buy a proper gravel vac.
I'm feeding just once a day currently, just flakes but I did try peas today as ive heard that's great for platies?
I'm currently looking at buying a bigger tank. Around the 100 litre. But don't want to buy the wrong system. So trying to do plenty of research. The platies was then going to be moved to the bigger tank. That's the plan.
Been researching the Aqua nano 60 and a Askoll xl. Can you advise for or against on these tanks or recommend anything different.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You definitely want to bring the ammonia down with large water changes but again, dependent on the difference in pH. Too large of a water change at one time could cause a pH shock and kill your fish so 40% back to back water changes would be better until the ammonia gets closer to 0.

You'd probably want to try a different bacteria supplement like the ones mentioned in my post. I don't hear a lot of positive reviews for Fluval.

I'm not familiar with those tanks but as long as it's a 10g minimum, they would be suitable for these fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom