Poorly platy! Please help

sheilashoelady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi and welcome to FishLore!

Unfortunately, I think it may be an issue of overcrowding still. The mollies and kribs should be in a bigger tank really, and may be getting aggressive before of territorial issues.

How long has your tank been set up?
How did you cycle it?
What are your current water parameters?

Your platy's fins are clamped, which definitely shows she is stressed, and moving her into the breeder box may stress her out. If you have a quarantine/hospital tank I would move her into there for now.

jfriend33

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm no beginner but also no expert. Maybe it's ich? You could possibly treat with preferably epsom or canning salt (if not table salt would work and isn't the best). You would treat it at 2 to 3 tablespoons per gallon. Then you can also raise the tank temperature a few degrees. Do this for 7 to 10 days minimum. Hopefully the symptoms will improve. Then begin water changes of 50 percent every week.

You'll have to convert to metric for my measurements. A simple Web search or someone else will confirm them. It's possible new fish introduced this issue. Then again fish most generally carry ich but introducing new fish can bring on these symptoms.

What were all your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, etc? What temp are you currently at?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Please take the kribensis out ASAP. They need a much larger tank (about 200 liters) and a meter long, as they are too territorial to play well with your livebearers. If these two are a breeding pair, they definitely need to go elsewhere. If you don't have a QT set up, you could put this platy in a breeder net for now and put some floating plants in there to reduce her stress. Some people use Melafix, but she'll probably get better fast on her own once you get those kribs out of there.

miss g

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh my gosh! The Aquarium centre said it be fine to have them? Is us and uk litres different ?? The kribs aren't attacking any other fish exact this poor platy!

sheilashoelady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
We use gallons for our tank sizes in the US mostly. At the bottom of the forum page is a calculator that converts liters and gallons so we can translate quickly

miss g

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi and welcome to FishLore!

Unfortunately, I think it may be an issue of overcrowding still. The mollies and kribs should be in a bigger tank really, and may be getting aggressive before of territorial issues.

How long has your tank been set up?
How did you cycle it?
What are your current water parameters?

Your platy's fins are clamped, which definitely shows she is stressed, and moving her into the breeder box may stress her out. If you have a quarantine/hospital tank I would move her into there for now.
I leave the cycling side of it to my boyfriend :/ I might put her in the net and buy a hospital tank tomorrow

miss g

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all for your help! I'm taking over the looking after of these fish... Something must be wrong as the silver Molly is shaking and sinking to the bottom now one thing or another. I've just tested the ph which is fine and the nitrates reading between 20-50. Water change was only done 4 days ago. Any suggestions?

delta5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think its the other fish in the tank. Sometimes when 1 of my mickey mouse platies are surrounded by my tiger striped barbs she'll look like that in your 1st photo.

What are you feeding her? I do 70% tropical flakes, 30% dried bloodworms.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom