poorly or pregnant ?

1. phil saint Member Member

i thought my gup was pregnant but someone has just said they think she could be ill with dropsy not pregnant......now im worried can anyone shed some light, if she is ill what can i do for her and can my other fish catch it ?

regards

phil

Attached Files:

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Unfortunatly it looks like dropsy. I dont think there is a cure but I also dont think your other fish can catch it.

Sorry about the bad news

3. RonDutt Member Member

There is a "cure," don't feed the platy for a day or so. If you care about the platy a lot, take it to a vet. There's a med as well (instant) that can help. I've had two platies that looked like they had dropsy, by restricting their feeding and doing daily water changes for about 3 days and they were back to normal. I have a vet family friend who also recomended this vs taking the fish in to get it treated (and a lot cheaper).

4. Llama Well Known Member Member

Uh, this is getting slightly worrying for me.

How can you tell the difference between dropsy and pregnancy? I had a pregnant guppy die yesterday for no reason at all ( :( ) and I'm worrying it could have been something else.

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Even a really pregnant fish shouldn't pine cone (pop their scales).

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Are you sure that wasnt bloat? bloat and dropsy are different

Edit: http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/dropsy/ A link on dropsy, if mods want to remove it then feel free it has afew pictures of fish with dropsy in it and a fish operation showing the bloated kidney.

7. Llama Well Known Member Member

Wow, that disease looks horrible poor fish.

I checked my other fish, it was pregnancy after all. Now I still have no idea what killed blackie...

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

9. phil saint Member Member

so here is the guppy update....... i spoke to the shop where i got them from and im not the first person who has had this problem, it seems quite a few people that got gups from that batch have had the same thing, so they offered to take the gups back and give me credit in store and if the gups better i could have them back to :) i didnt want to give up on them but i figure they will have a better chance with the experts.

thank for the replys

phil

10. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Thats really good of the LFS to do that! Sometimes we end up with bad fish no matter how hard we try to examine them in the shop.

Keep us updated :)