Help Poorly Made Stand Fix

SystemOfEleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My girlfriend and I commissioned a pair of basic 2x4 tank stands for my ten gallon aquarium and a rescue turtle we agreed to take in next week. The workmanship is... not great, to say the least. We paid a discount because he had other obligations to work around and wasn't sure how long it would take him to finish, but this looks like he just slapped everything together without so much as running a level over it or double checking his measurements.

Neither stand has surfaces aligned to a single plane, level or not; even if I put shims under them to prevent wobbling, the tops would still apply torsion onto the tanks because the corners don't line up. I put cardboard shims under the smaller stand just to see how far off the top is (will include pictures) but the large stand is so ridiculously off-kilter I'm not even sure where the shims would need to go. If you ignore the bevels, the stands measure /exactly/ the dimensions of the tanks -- the bevels are about a quarter inch, so that makes it effectively half an inch /shorter/ than the tanks in each direction.

We've already paid for them, and the guy doesn't seem the sort to just redo it without **** tons of drama or charging us again for the extra materials.

Is there anything I can do to make it... less problematic, that doesn't require expensive tools? Or are these basically just going to have to be cat jungle gyms, now?

Attachments

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
By the looks of it the basics are there. If you have a claw hammer you should be able to take the top apart and spend a little more time putting it together. But if I was a carpenter I would be embarrassed to produce something like that. That would be like your wheel falling off a mile from your mechanic. Not except able.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
since its wood, you can sand it down.

or top it off with a sheet of plywood, and sand the bottoms to level it out.

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 75.0%

Top Bottom