poorly loach?

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
my loach is usually either playing a game of going up and down vertically in the tank which
he has done for the past couple of months i've had him, or he's cleaning (he won't clean plants, just glass and gravel....he's not a very good cleaner I must say!!!). anyway, past couple of days he's just laying on the gravel looking depressed(?)! I can't decribe it any other way. he's breathing slower (gills moving slower) but that's prob just cos he's not rushing about? he just seems to sulk. did a 50% water change last night (tested water and it was zero ammonia and nitrite and 5-10 nitrate, but did w/change anyway just in case something else was upsetting him) and when I poured the new water in he moved about, then when I finished he just sulked again. his gills are red, but a month or so ago my ammonia had shot up to 1.0 and I did two 50% water changes a day cos his gills were red, and the gills never recovered and remained red. can ammonia poisoning have a delayed effect? from what i've read it seems like it would be immediate.
any ideas in how to cheer up my loach. I don't know if he's depressed or ill or just likes playing dead to stress me out? any suggestions? he has no other symptoms. his fins are immaculate his body and scales are immaculate. he's not thin or fat. he looks healthy, just red gilled and lethargic.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe Tan's loach is not a true loach its a sucking loach. this is what it is.

Carol

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
thanks carol, I did forget to mention its a golden/albino sucking loach! its in my signiture, but there would be no reason for you to look there for you to know that inuyasha lover! sorry for the confusion!
i'll take a photo of him (he may be a she...I don't know if its poss to tell the dif?!)
tan

OP
T

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
ok, bear with me. the laptop had to be wiped and re started last night as it kept turning itself off (some bug in it we thought) anyway, I don't have my camera software loaded back onto it yet and I don't know where it is and hubby at work, so I tried just linking it to the memory card from camera into laptop, but file size was 408kb! 8kb over the allowance, so taken another photo with the quality on low on camera, so hopefully picture will come out, but may be poor quality. I can't re-size either without the program! sorry guys!! i've only just learnt to resize as well!! anyway, fingers and toes crossed this works...

oh, how surprising, pictures come out better when the camera is switched to poor quality!! and they're an ok size too! well, I'll do that in future!! easier than resizing!

inuyasha lover: I'll do that! he usually has cucumber 2-3 times a week, but there isn't any there at the moment, so maybe that's why he's sulking! - will have to go buy some first!

while there's a pic of him there, do you think those gills are ammonia poisoning, or do they do that anyway as they grow up? I have never seen another sucking loach to know compare what he should look like! but I noticed it when the ammonia shot up to 1.0 which I didnt think was dangerously high, but those red gills didnt look right to me!! i'm sure they werent ik that when I bought him. ???

tan

quick update on mr.loach. he's still spending most of his time sulking, but will have a quick swim once in a while. one thing I did notice though this morning when I tested water is the pH has dropped. now I check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate when a fish is ill/not quite their usual self, and every weekend I check those 3 and pH. so that's why I didnt know about the pH til today! it's always 7.2, but this morn was at the lowest on card 6.4, so maybe the sudden shift has thrown him a little. hope he gets used to it. the tetras will be happy as they're meant to prefer lower pH. i'm guessing its the shell in there causing it and the shrimp shed his skin last week, so maybe the remains of that may contribute too? the shell has been in there ages as that's what the algae wafer goes in so I can remove what's not eaten, and someone said the shell will help with mineral content of water for the shrimps to rebuild they're exoskeleton.
anyone know how pH shifts affect sucking loaches?
by the way, forgot to test the tap water pH today, but the other 2 tanks are still 7.2, and they all came out of the same tap!
tan

New Threads