Poorly Gourami!

KizzyB

Hi everyone,
I have a poorly baby thick-lip gourami and I'm running out of ideas on how to help it (if I even can) we have already lost one of the two and now we look set to lose both. Details are below

water volume: 105 litre (21 imperial gallons)
How long has the tank been running? 4 weeks
Filter: External Eheim experience 150
Heater: Aquael platinum 100
What is the water temperature? 25.5 celcius
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 1 thick-lip gourami, 3 black neons (more on order at shop), 1 zebra snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25 percent
What do you use to treat your water? API stress coat. Catappa leaves
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, a fishless cycle with ammonia
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 8.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? A few granules per fish
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari micro pellet and tetra prima mini granule.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes frozen foods, brine shrimp/baby bloodworm/daphnia (only a tiny amount by pipet due to so few fish)

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 5 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days ago

Symptoms: quiet and withdrawn. Dorsal fin and tail are completely clamped. Has been feeding and swimming about but does not look happy at all. She/ he has slightly pink gills today also. The second gourami died 2 days ago with slightly different symptoms, was floating vertically at the surface with no other visible problem except clamped fins and quite thin. I have an air stone and many plants so I do not think the issue was lack of oxygen.

Treatment tried so far: 30 percent water change and tonic salt with no visible improvement except the black neons have coloured up and seem to have benefited

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Only that they were both smaller individuals than the others but chose because they were interacting nicely with each other. The other fish in the shop do not have any symptoms currently

I have attached a photo of the tank and the poorly Gourami for reference

awilkinson871

Since the symptoms started almost immediately I have to ask how you acclimated the fish to the tank. Also how does the poop look- is it brown or long and stringy white?

Upvote 0

KizzyB

Since the symptoms started almost immediately I have to ask how you acclimated the fish to the tank. Also how does the poop look- is it brown or long and stringy white?
They were acclimatised over a half hour, floating the bag and gradually adding my tank water a few drops at a time. The shop pH was very close to mine so I don't think that would be too much of a shock. Poop is thick and dark brown.

Upvote 0

KizzyB

Update: we have a gradual improvement. Tail has unclamped and dorsal fin is not being held so tightly. The next installment of my black neons has arrived and they really seem to be giving the gourami more confidence to come out and eat, plus a little more colour had come out in him/her. The neons are way feistier than I expected but they don't worry the gourami at all. I can now see white spots on the gourami's lower fin tips so finally we have a diagnosis and we will be treating for white-spot as soon as I am confident the salt has gone to low enough levels (I am aware the treatments do not mix). We are doing 30 percent water changes every other day. Fingers crossed we see some more improvement soon.

Upvote 0

MyFishAddiction

Increase that to 50% every other day.

Upvote 0

KizzyB

Update: I am happy to say our little gourami is now doing well. It seems fresh water changes and good food were the answer in the end. Also finally managed to get the little one in some photos (usually disappears when the phone/camera comes out) now to figure out if we have a girl or a boy.

Upvote 0

Lucy

Thanks for updating the thread! We love happy outcomes :)

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Update: I am happy to say our little gourami is now doing well. It seems fresh water changes and good food were the answer in the end. Also finally managed to get the little one in some photos (usually disappears when the phone/camera comes out) now to figure out if we have a girl or a boy.
I'm glad it is okay =)
Labiosa are usually quite easy to tell, the typical "if it's got a pointed dorsal fin it's a male" works really well here as well as the analfin.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hbln
  • Question
Replies
Views
Meg123P
  • Question
Replies
Views