Poorly Fish, Help Needed To Diagnose.

1. R

Richard Taylor New Member Member

Hi all, I have recently noticed 2 of my fish with a nasty looking sore on their sides, one comet and one shubumpkin, any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pic's attached.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    R

Another pic...

Attached Files:

3. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

What do you keep them in, what is the size of the tank?
    Water parameters?

4. OP
    OP
    R

5. Sakura48

Sakura48 Fishlore VIP Member

Could you list them exactly, their numbers?
    Any other tank mates? I was thinking something attacked them, but I don't know.

6. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Maybe something took a bite out of them, but since the injuries are so similar I'd look for a spot/cave in your pond that's easy to get into but hard to get out of, with something abrasive on the left side. It looks like they had the brilliant idea to get stuck in the same tough spot.

As for treatment, QT and dose with antibiotics asap, those are very serious injuries.

7. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore. Sorry your guys are sick.
    This is the third post on this type of disease in a very short time. It looks as though they are being eaten alive by something. All cases had lesions that look similar to the lesions found with Cyprinid herpesvirus-3 (CyHV-3). This virus effects carp and koi. I read multiple places that it did not effect goldfish. (and I thought goldfish were carp.) I don't keep goldfish so I never really read articles concerning them, but after the second case, I tracked down some information I had scanned through before. That article also mentioned carp and koi but not goldfish. I circled a couple spots on your picture to show you what lesion areas I am talking about. Maybe someone here will recognize what this is.

Attached Files:

8. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

That's the same fish, lol. It looks like a sore, with some bacterial infection going on.
    It either injured itself or was attacked and didn't heal fast enough before bacteria set in