Poorly betta, advice needed

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi, one of my female bettas has got dropsy, unfortunatly. I notice on thursday pm she was in the corner of the community tank, once i looked closer she had raised scales, i immediatly set up an isolation tank, put in a bit of foliage, fresh clean water and put her in there.
My community tank gets 30-40%water change weekly, two filters, heater, lighting etc, and no other fish have any noticable health issues.
well she was in perfect health, i was hoping to breed her later this year (dec time when i had some time off from work)
I know that there is no cure for dropsy, i have never had this before and i am not sure on the best action now.
she hasn't eaten, only moves occasionally, looks like she is loosing the will. do i need to help put her out of her misery or leave her to die?????
Some advice would be grateful, her tank is set up in the corner of my front room, and that means i can't do anything without my eyes wandering to her to see if there has been any changes.
Thanks in advance for any advice

hooxeii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Most people don't have much luck with dropsy, but nippyfish recently published an article about someone who'd been able to get their betta to recover...

Hopefully this helps

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aww poor girl..try to see if she will eat a small piece (the size of her eye) of frozen, thawed, shelled pea...she could just be constipated from being in a community tank and eating all kinds of different foods (bettas are piglets and eat whatever they can get) ...this for a couple days, with prestine water, will make a difference if she is constipated.....I hope thats all it is!!!!!!! otherwise, theres not much to do but keep her comfy the best you can...tall silk plant with big leafs can help keep her at the top of the tank for more air..good luck!

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I dont have any peas in, but when i last tried peas none of my bettas looked impressed and they all watched the pea sink and left them. will get some tomorrow to try again.
I will call to the petshop tomorrow after reading the nippifish article, see what medicines they have in. I have some java moss supported by a plastic stand about 2-3inch from the surface but she is simply floating near the thermometer.
Thanks for the quick responses

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldnt medicate just yet...it could be constipation or even egg bound....neither of which needs meds...fasting her today and tomorrow and try the pea on tues will help her be hungry enough to eat it...can you get a pic of her? not all raised scales is dropsy..especially on a female betta....

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the temp is at 80 at the moment. i will raise the temp and see if that helps

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
just seen her moving and she seems to be moving with her headpointing down (headstand-ish but not quite vertical) i will sort some salt out for her

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
just to let you know, she has sadly passed away.
i had raised the temp to 82-83 and added salt last night, i got up this morning and she looked even spikier, barely moving.
then tonight when i went to supermarket about an hour ago, came back with some frozen peas, and she had died.
sad times.
thanks all for your advice, sadly i think she had gone too far.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom