Poor Water Parameters

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my water shows that nitrates & nitrites are 0 but i don’t have the liquid test kit for that, ph is around 7 gh is 30 kh is 0. ammonia is amazingly at 0 even after adding snails and disturbing the substrate. i did a water change but there is usually ammonia in my tank anyways when i do water changes. does this hopefully mean my tank is cycled?

i bought a little baby betta and he got some stress stripes when i added some tank water to his cup to help acclimate him. is this the water or was he just disturbed? i want to make sure he lives a long and healthy life

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're nitrate is 0, you might not have any bacteria. Most chains are uppity about nitrate above 10ppm, but it's inert and at least you know what's going on. Most chains will also test your water for ammo/n2/n3 for free.

As for the Betta, what's the water temperature?

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
If you're nitrate is 0, you might not have any bacteria. Most chains are uppity about nitrate above 10ppm, but it's inert and at least you know what's going on. Most chains will also test your water for ammo/n2/n3 for free.

As for the Betta, what's the water temperature?
i use test strips so it isn’t very accurate. the tank has been set up for months it’s just been neglected until about a month ago. i added some plants from an established tank at my lfs so i’m hoping that might help? i probably will have my water tested by a chain soon. i’m keeping his tank at about 81 degrees and i added some stress coat just in case.

he still has stress stripes 10 mins later but he’s eating the little organisms in the tank and he’s investigating the snails. i think i may have seen him twitch but i’m not sure if it’s because he’s nervous or not. i’m just worried about him i want him to be healthy but if my tank isn’t ready i’m going to take him back

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
Can you turn down the temperature? Bettas (and Dwarf Gouramis) don't generally like anything higher than 77
Ok i turned it down it’s around 80 now but it’s still cooling down

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
he’s eating all the tiny organisms in the tank and his belly is getting very fat should i take him out i don’t want him to eat himself to death?!

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bettas prefer temps of 78-81 degrees.

Put him in a breeder box or bucket with tank water to reduce his stress. What kind of tiny organisms?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My LFS and the Chains here keep them at 72, and I know my Dwarf Gouramis don't like anything over 77, but I defer. I was more concerned with the rate of change than the actual temperature.

If the water chemistry is quite different, drip acclimation might be best.

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emmysjj said:
Bettas prefer temps of 78-81 degrees.

Put him in a breeder box or bucket with tank water to reduce his stress. What kind of tiny organisms?
small crustaceans and microscopic organisms they’re naturally occurring and harmless. how would the breeder box help?

Mick Frost said:
My LFS and the Chains here keep them at 72, and I know my Dwarf Gouramis don't like anything over 77, but I defer. I was more concerned with the rate of change than the actual temperature.

If the water chemistry is quite different, drip acclimation might be best.
i tested the water again as it’s been a few hours since the water change and the ammonia says it’s at 0 still. the parameters were a bit different, i have very soft water the pet store has harder water. i put a bit of tank water in his cup and replaced the old water slowly.

he seems very active and is swimming around happy and flaring so i’m hoping the lines will go away soon. some people said the vertical lines means he’s a female but i don’t see a white spot. i’ll see how he looks over the next few days

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emmysjj said:
Oh, maybe he's hungry. The breeder box would make it so he's in the same water conditions, but he is isolated. Here's a picture:

They cost around $8 and hang inside of the tank.
he’s alone in a 2.5 gal with some snails? Just curious how the isolation helps it seems like he enjoys hiding and he gets scared when people stare at him too long

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay so this is a 2.5 gallon tank correct? How long has the tank been running? Was it ever empty during when it was neglected? Does it have a filter?

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AquaticJ said:
Okay so this is a 2.5 gallon tank correct? How long has the tank been running? Was it ever empty during when it was neglected? Does it have a filter?
yes it is it’s been running for 2-3 months and it was empty the whole time it was neglected. it has a small sponge filter.

sabean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emmysjj said:
If he was attacking anything, you can put him in there.
he was only eating small crustaceans that naturally occur i put a tiny bit of pond water in there from when i collected some duckweed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom