Poor timing could be disasterous. Anyone have fish shipped from Imperial Tropicals?

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
1,913
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well last week I ordered some fish online from Imperial Tropicals without checking weather conditions. 1 Angel, 8 Kuhlie Loaches, 5 Amano Shrimp and 2 Rabbit Snails. The fish shipped from Florida yesterday afternoon, are currently sitting in Denver, and will be here in Vail tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately we are literally hitting record low temperatures right now. It's currently 6 degrees here in Vail, 13 in Denver where the fish are currently at and temps will be 0 or below tonight.

I'm just hoping Imperial Tropicals included some heat packs in the package or it's not too terribly cold in the truck or wherever they are. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I've ordered fish plenty of times in winter with 2-3 days shipping and never have had any D.O.A.'s. But never in temps this cold, and never with Imperial Tropicals before. Anyone else ever ordered from Imperial? Have they included heat packs in cold weather?
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,933
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gosh...I would think warmers would be standard this time of year for any respectable seller....I would hope so anyway! It would be pretty irresponsible not to.
 

svb3290

Active Member
Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
34
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
toeknee said:
Well last week I ordered some fish online from Imperial Tropicals without checking weather conditions. 1 Angel, 8 Kuhlie Loaches, 5 Amano Shrimp and 2 Rabbit Snails. The fish shipped from Florida yesterday afternoon, are currently sitting in Denver, and will be here in Vail tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately we are literally hitting record low temperatures right now. It's currently 6 degrees here in Vail, 13 in Denver where the fish are currently at and temps will be 0 or below tonight.

I'm just hoping Imperial Tropicals included some heat packs in the package or it's not too terribly cold in the truck or wherever they are. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I've ordered fish plenty of times in winter with 2-3 days shipping and never have had any D.O.A.'s. But never in temps this cold, and never with Imperial Tropicals before. Anyone else ever ordered from Imperial? Have they included heat packs in cold weather?
I have ordered from them and they take great care in packing the fish. My issue where I live is heat as temps here are still in 90's. Even though I live in Florida (same state as IT) I always do overnight shipping. They are good about heat packs but if it was a freak weather system that was unexpected, they may not have included them. However they do a good job of insulating the box. Hopefully your fish will survive. Warm them slowly at room temp first before floating in tank. IT will stand behind any losses so even if fish are alive on arrival they may be stressed by cold so let them know asap.
 

Truckjohn

Active Member
Member
Messages
408
Reaction score
212
Location
South Carolina
bizaliz3 said:
Gosh...I would think warmers would be standard this time of year for any respectable seller....I would hope so anyway! It would be pretty irresponsible not to.
It's still 90 degrees in much of Florida and still in the 80's in most of the south...

Heat packs could pose a risk of cooking the fish before they get out of the Deep South....

I sure hope they don't leave them outside in the truck overnight....
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
1,913
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well if I could I would change the title of this thread to "Poor timing WAS disastrous"....To my surprise my phone went off 30 minutes ago saying my package had been delivered!! Even though 2 hours ago USPS gave me an expected deliver of tomorrow. Great! Surely they will all be alive since they just shipped out yesterday.......Nope. Every single fish and shrimp is dead. Every. Single. One. The water was ice cold. The rabbits might be ok. I'm still floating all the bags to bring temps up hoping someone will come back to life but it doesn't look so good. I sent an e-mail to Imperial right away with pictures attached. They are currently closed so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see what they have to say.
 

svb3290

Active Member
Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
34
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
So sorry! That's heartbreaking! It's always worth floating the bags just in case they're in shock. Fingers crossed.
Truckjohn made a good point about heat packs and point of origin. I guess we all have to take freaky weather patterns into account before ordering online. IT are good people. They will make it right.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
1,913
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
I partly blame myself for not checking the weather before hand. Everything did seem to be packaged very well. Double bagged fish, put in a styrofoam box, stuffed with some sort of insulating material. With a heat pack placed on top of the closed styrofoam box, which was inside a cardboard box of course.

I've had fish shipped in some pretty cold weather before and the water has always been fairly warm on arrival. The box must have been stored in an unheated area in Denver last night or something. The heat pack was still slightly warm but the water was close to having ice crystals formed in it.
 

svb3290

Active Member
Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
34
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm wondering if it would help if IT put notice on box and shipping info that contents contain live fish and not to leave in an unheated area overnight. I had them put notice not to leave the box in sun and the delivery people have always gone out of their way to leave the fish in the shadiest area of my front porch.
 

saltwater60

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,033
Reaction score
1,705
svb3290 said:
I'm wondering if it would help if IT put notice on box and shipping info that contents contain live fish and not to leave in an unheated area overnight. I had them put notice not to leave the box in sun and the delivery people have always gone out of their way to leave the fish in the shadiest area of my front porch.
The drivers could careless. I once watched a fed ex guy literally throw my box containing love corals with the box stating that from the curb onto my front porch. You bet fed ex got an email. The drivers just want to finish and go home.
 

lisa99

Active Member
Member
Messages
390
Reaction score
292
Location
Central Florida
Experience
Just started
I ordered from IT for the first time last week. I’m in Florida so it was a very different situation but the box had Live Fish written in big print on the outside. My UPS guy hand was very careful with it.
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,230
Reaction score
11,120
Location
Saratoga NY
Experience
More than 10 years
They should have used heat packs ..
What do I know ?
Watching to see if they stand behind their business..
 

svb3290

Active Member
Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
34
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
saltwater60 said:
The drivers could careless. I once watched a fed ex guy literally throw my box containing love corals with the box stating that from the curb onto my front porch. You bet fed ex got an email. The drivers just want to finish and go home.
what a jerk! I guess I'm lucky I've had nice drivers.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
1,913
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
There was one heat pack on the outside of the styrofoam container between it and the packing box. The heatpack clearly didn't do much good.

The fact it shipped out 2 A.M. Tuesday morning, arrived at 3ish Wednesday and the water was so ice cold leaves me to believe the box was either left in a truck overnight or stored in an unheated area. (Arrived in Denver at midnight and left Denver for delivery at 8 A.M.) So a good 15 hours in potentially very cold conditions.

I don't blame Imperial for anything as everything really was packaged very well. I paid for 2-3 day shipping and it arrived in one day.

Imperial just emailed me back and offered either a full refund or a reshipment at no cost. The weather warming back up around here quit a bit so I'm going to go for the reshipment. Fingers crossed for round two. Seeing as it's Thursday they'll probably ship next monday or tuesday. I'll post an update once the new batch arrives.

Again, not bashing Imperial Tropicals. They seem like a great business....this is just the risk of having fish shipped in I suppose.
 

Truckjohn

Active Member
Member
Messages
408
Reaction score
212
Location
South Carolina
I am more leaning towards warm water acclimated fish getting cold shocked. Going from 75F water to 30-something water in a couple hours will do it every time.

I think I would call up Imperial and see what you can work out - especailly with regards to carefully timing shipments. You may also have to spring for overnight shipping.

Given that your shipments go through high altitude areas - Denver and Vail CO - there is a definite risk of being exposed to super cold temperatures which are not seen even 100 miles away.... It is snow skiing country after all...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
1,913
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
Truckjohn said:
I am more leaning towards warm water acclimated fish getting cold shocked. Going from 75F water to 30-something water in a couple hours will do it every time.

I think I would call up Imperial and see what you can work out - especailly with regards to carefully timing shipments. You may also have to spring for overnight shipping.

Given that your shipments go through high altitude areas - Denver and Vail CO - there is a definite risk of being exposed to super cold temperatures which are not seen even 100 miles away.... It is snow skiing country after all...
I have decided to go for overnight shipping for an extra $15. Not worth risking a similar fate.

I've had fish shipped to me probably 15-20 times over the years. Many times in freezing temperatures. I've only had 1 or 2 DOA's over the years. I'm sure the deaths were simply because of the unseasonable cold snap going on while they were shipped.

Regardless, the weather is returning to normal winter temps. low 40's during the day, mid 20's overnight. Opposed to the high of 5-10 degrees the past two days and below 0 over night.
 

svb3290

Active Member
Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
34
Location
Florida
Experience
5 to 10 years
toeknee said:
I have decided to go for overnight shipping for an extra $15. Not worth risking a similar fate.

I've had fish shipped to me probably 15-20 times over the years. Many times in freezing temperatures. I've only had 1 or 2 DOA's over the years. I'm sure the deaths were simply because of the unseasonable cold snap going on while they were shipped.

Regardless, the weather is returning to normal winter temps. low 40's during the day, mid 20's overnight. Opposed to the high of 5-10 degrees the past two days and below 0 over night.
Keeping my fingers crossed your next shipment arrives in good condition. Nothing worse nor sadder than DOAs. Keep us posted.
I always bite the bullet and pay for overnight shipping.
 

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,230
Reaction score
11,120
Location
Saratoga NY
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad they are taking care of you ..
I am 3 weeks into double insulation and heat packs for shipping this season .Even to down south ..
The heat pack belongs in the foam not outside it ...
 

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,398
Reaction score
18,933
Location
Minnesota
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why on earth would the Warmer be outside of the styrofoam??? That defeats the whole purpose....could that have been a whoops?? I feel like he should know better. Maybe he accidentally put the lid on upside down??

A lot of sellers tape the warmer to the lid. But the warmer goes face down. Not face up.

I think he dropped the ball on this one and the fish would have been fine if the warmer was not outside the styrofoam. :-( I would ask him if that was intentional for some reason. Because if it was a whoops...he might appreciate knowing he made that mistake.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
toeknee

toeknee

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
1,913
Location
Vail, Colorado
Experience
5 to 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
Why on earth would the Warmer be outside of the styrofoam??? That defeats the whole purpose....could that have been a whoops?? I feel like he should know better. Maybe he accidentally put the lid on upside down??

A lot of sellers tape the warmer to the lid. But the warmer goes face down. Not face up.

I think he dropped the ball on this one and the fish would have been fine if the warmer was not outside the styrofoam. :-( I would ask him if that was intentional for some reason. Because if it was a whoops...he might appreciate knowing he made that mistake.
I thought that was odd as well. Other suppliers have always had a heat pack inside of the styrofoam container. That could have been the fatal flaw...
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
244
Guests online
3,502
Total visitors
3,746

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom