Poor Sky! Treating a betta with torn fin?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by ReceX, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ReceXValued MemberMember

Today, I noticed that Sky had disappeared. I looked around, curious, and finally saw his head poking out from under the filter. I unplugged the filter, and he swam away from it quickly. However, one of his fins was pretty badly torn. Here's a picture:

poorsky.jpg

I'm planning to clean the tank tomorrow when I have more time (I didn't scrub the algae or vacuum gravel last week) and the reason I have a divider in there is to try and control my pond snail population-- remember to quarantine your plants!!!-- by restricting them to that part of the tank. Granted, it doesn't seem to be helping. Anyhow, I was wondering on how to go about preventing infection in his poor tail? Again, I'll clean the tank up tomorrow and maybe take a better picture. Should I change water more? Get some medication? I have aquarium salt; should I use that? Should I feed him something special?

Thanks!

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Poor little guy.

Keep the water pristine to help prevent infection.
    Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem to help his immune system.

Extra Stress Coat or Fish Protector to help healing.

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon.

3. OP
    OP
    R

ReceXValued MemberMember

Okay, thank you. I can't change the water tonight (finals tomorrow) but I'll get to it after school tomorrow. And then I have Christmas break, so perhaps it'll be cleared by then.

What is Stress Coat or Fish Protector?

4. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    R

ReceXValued MemberMember

Okay, thank you. They have Stress Coat at Petsmart, so I'll pick it up when I can!

I decided to remove the divider, and I'm wondering, why didn't I before?! Sky's now going on a snail eating crusade xD No food for him today. Is it normal for Bettas to eat pond snails?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

ReceX - They will eat almost anything that will fit in their mouths, including ghost shrimp. If it were a bigger snail, I doubt it would.

7. OP
    OP
    R

ReceXValued MemberMember

He used to share my 15 gallon with my mystery snail, and had a tendency to pick at it also, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's just hilarious that he seems to be seeking out the snails to eat.

8. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Female Bettas (on the most part) will usually leave the Mystery Snails alone. I have had (and still have) some male Bettas who want to torment anything that is in their reach. With each Betta, though, comes a different personality and a basis of action.

9. OP
    OP
    R

ReceXValued MemberMember

Here's a better picture, now that I've done a 50% water change and removed algae:

poor sky2.jpg

Actually, I ended up choosing him because at the pet store, he ended up whacking his head trying to attack my finger :;jaws I should have definitely predicted any aggression.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice