Poor Poor Othello

lalynya
So Othello is my all black Betta..I love him..he is silly and he lets me pet him..he has pretty hazel eyes..OK YeS I am having a love afair with a fish back off....Othello has had a fungus problem for a while. I have tried a number of medications for him..last week it finally looked like it was clearing up..I used buddy tabs clear fungus by jungleI think and I had started to do evry day cleaning of his tank..now I don't know if it was the tank cleaning or the meds or both but It was doing good..then I ran out of the tabs with no money in my pocket....and the fungus is showing itself again. well I guess I am going to have to try again..everyday I will change out his tank water and give him buddy tab in teh evening and rid fungus in the morning..If that doesn't take care of it I don't know what will..I will never give up my fight for the fish

Amnagrla
:-\ aww I really hope it works out!!

Allie
Raise the temp up for a few day too. That helps me most of the time with daily water changes.

MissMTS
Awww! Poor Othello. I hope he pulls through. You are such a good fish mom to be so dedicated to keeping your fish healthy. He is lucky to have you

lalynya
Awww thanks guys..I can't just give up on him that would be wrong..besides it would break my heart to see him get worse

lalynya
I don't know what to do. I am really sad because othello is not getting any better. In fact he looks worse..I keep medicating and changing water. I took teh cory's out which actually he was NOT happy about he was trying to stop me from taking them. I even switched the filter to a slower moving one so that he would be more comfortable. His temp is up and still no luck I think his days may be getting shorter

Martinismommy
I'm sending healing vibes his way...Poor little fellow....I sure hopes he gets better soon!

lalynya
Thanks he needs healing vibes..He acts fine but I can tell he is getting worse

Lucy
Poor little guy, I hope he recovers soon.

I don't know much about medicating fish, so I hope someone will correct me on this.
If you do daily water changes, could that also be removing the medications too quickly?

Also, if you're using carbon, you should remove it while medicating.

Good luck.

lalynya
I removed the carbon...I change the water before adding more meds..He is actually being over medicated but nothing else is working and it's the only way to keep whatever is wrong with him at bay. As soon as I stop medicating him the area that I thought was fungus but at this point I don't thing so anymore starts to spread and grow.

Lucy
Can you post a pic? Maybe that will help the others advise you further.

lalynya
I can try but he is the most anti- photogenic fish I have ever met

Fishies-for-me
I know that the use of salt is controversial these days...but it used to be a cure all for many things fungus among them. If nothing else is working and you fear for him it may be worth a try to put 1 tbsp per 5 gallons and see if it helps. I had a female guppy showing signs of a cottony fungus on her and dosed the tank with salt and it completely cured it in 2 days...good luck.

lalynya
I have been using salt as well..Forgot that part..I really have been trying everything

lalynya
Well Othello didn't do too well with the salt...It didn't help with whatever is on him..It actually looked like it was getting worse. He got very lethargic and was not acting like himself with the salt..In other words...he didn't like it at all. I am now trying to treat him with rid ich because it is pretty much the only thing I haven't tried yet. It seems to be improving his condition but (then again most meds improve it it just never goes away.) and he is bubble nesting again...I will keep up with teh rid-ich and see if it gets better

capekate
Well Othello didn't do too well with the salt...It didn't help with whatever is on him..It actually looked like it was getting worse. He got very lethargic and was not acting like himself with the salt..In other words...he didn't like it at all. I am now trying to treat him with rid ich because it is pretty much the only thing I haven't tried yet. It seems to be improving his condition but (then again most meds improve it it just never goes away.) and he is bubble nesting again...I will keep up with teh rid-ich and see if it gets better

HI Lalynya
Have you tried the Triple Sulfa yet? Its made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals which are great products. It address, bacterial Fin and Tail Rot along with a host of other things. I'm surprised how inexpensive it is, it even costs less than the Jungle Lab Fungus Care.

lalynya
hmm well I will try anything at this point this has been a problem since I've had him...Thanks for the tip

Martinismommy
I use the Trisupla by the Mardel Co. They sell it at petco and it is less expensive then the API brand...

How is the little guy doing this morning? Do you have a photo of what he looks like?

lalynya
I do but I am having computer problems so I can't load it on here..as soon as teh computer is back up I'll post it..I want to post pics of the new tank too soo I'll have to do it all at once

capekate
I bought triple Sulfa online at Big Al's site, while I was buying more New Life Spectrum foods. I wanted to have it stocked and on hand if I need it.
It only cost $2.49 for a pack of 8 capsules. That's not a bad price at all. How much was the Mardel product? They have good products too.

Martinismommy
The mardel was $6.00 for 8 packets which treats a 5 gallon tank for the full 14 days...

lalynya
I have tried a large variety of the matdel products

lalynya
I am very sad to anounce that on the 25th of July my POOr Othello passed away..seeing how he was allways in bad health since I've had him it is probably for the best..And not to sound mean but atleast now I can stop buying all the meds I was buying for him just to sustain his life..On the positive note I now have a new Betta friend named puffy..yes puffy..why cuz I got him from a cup at petsmart and I was looking at all teh other bettas and when I finally got to him he roared at me (Ok it was really him flaring) But anyway..Puffy is a very active and healthy seeming boy who I will hopefully be able to post pics of soon

Lucy
I'm so sorry you lost Othello.

Best of luck to the new boy Boy, he sounds adorable.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Blueberrybetta
Replies
Views
cjcummings
Top Bottom