Poor Oscar Got His BUTT Kicked

1. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

For the past 2 years I've had a Parrot, Oscar & Jack Dempsey in my tank. The Oscar & Jack would flare at each other occasionally and sometimes one would chase away the other. All this time though there have been ZERO signs of damage to any fish.

About a month ago I added a Green Terror. All of my fish are roughly 5". About a week after the Green Terror went in I noticed a scale or two missing from the rear of the Oscar. I did a partial water change, added some stress coat and in a few days the damage was gone and everyone was in tact.

Yesterday I gave my guys some veggies for the first time. I gave them some broccoli, romaine lettuce, carrots and string beans. This was the first time I ever did this.

I went to look at my guys today and my Oscar looked like he got run over by a truck. Fins torn apart, scales missing and kind of staying in one place at the top of the tank. I immediately filled up a fish bucket I have with gravel and water from my tank and attached a small filter and heater and then added the guy. I then added a squirt of stress coat. I would have taken a picture but I wanted to get him out ASAP.

I have too many guys in my 55 and was looking at upgrading to a larger tank. I don't think that's happening anymore because our fence is now falling down and one of the dogs escaped twice last week so money will be going towards the fence. We also had a LOT of rain this past weekend and had a little leak downstairs so now we need to fix the leak and redo the floor. As a result, the tank is on hold. If I can nurse this guy back to good health then I'll see about giving him back to the store. We'll see how it goes. So far he seems to be OK.

Oh, and I never saw any damage to any fish and only noticed the Oscar missing some scales a few weeks ago and then again what happened today. Both of these things happened after adding the Green Terror.

I suspect he may be the culprit but I've NEVER seen the two have a problem at all. Your thoughts?
    :animal0068:Good morning! I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between. Don't forget there is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections or additional thoughts should there be no immediate response.
    Thanks!
    Ken

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sometimes we all have the best intentions to upgrade our tanks...but then life throws a curve ball at us and it just doesnt/cant happen (been there my self) thats why you will see allot of us suggest the tank size isnt proper ...and MOST of the time we get the "ill upgrade when they get bigger" type of answer....and I think you pretty much answered your own question unfortunately :( you needed a bigger tank before adding the GT and that type of fish, most definitely lives up to their name...they are terrors.....I hope your oscar boy recovers and does ok!! but id return the GT or you could have your parrot (who will NEVER stand a chance against a GT ) or another of your babies in the bucket next :( its not fun im sure and again I know the feeling...but I wish you well!!!!

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Sorry to hear that your Oscar was torn up :( I have to agree with Shawnie here. Anything with Terror or Devil in the name...usually lives up to it :) I'd also return the Green Terror but of course it's up to you.

Best wishes for a full recovery for the Oscar.
    Ken

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Another vote for returning the GT. It's not fair to the fish you already had to keep him. :(

5. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I have a GT & Oscars together in my 150. Even in there they all still get a little tempermental. For your stock you'd need at least 100 gal...
    That's why I know I always tell other members not to buy stock with an upgrade in MIND, only buy the stock the the upgrade is a REALITY.

6. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I've never seen the GT go after anyone though. He kind of minds his own business. The only 2 that did anything were the Jack and Oscar but here were really no visible damage till very recently.

The Oscar has only sustained damage since the GT was put in though. That's the only reason why I would say it was the GT that attacked. What if I get rid of the GT and the Oscar gets more damage. I could only conclude it was the Jack at that point.

So if I'm not getting a larger tank anytime soon, then wouldn't the best thing to do is find a new home for the Oscar with the size of my current tank?

7. Shawnie

Just because you didnt see the GT doing it, doesnt mean he didnt ;) with your stocking , the best thing would bet to find your GT and your oscar a new home...silver dollars need more to feel safe...they are skittish fish that need others of their own...can we see a pic of your jelly bean parrot? at this point, with your 55g, id go with your jelly (if its truly a jelly) , jack dempsey, and 4 silver dollars..that would be pushing it, but with extra maintenance, you could do it well :)

8. a

anunez91 Valued Member Member

I Had a green terror in my 20H (temporarily, holding it for someone) with my convict pair, he was three times their size, that poor fish was so terrified of the convicts when i put my hand in the water to do maintinence, he would dart about the tank frantically as if hed seen a ghost, haha, that was the softest green terror ive ever seen in my life, i should have given him to you, maybe your oscar would have been fine, hahaha ( i even had to put him in my 29 gallon for a night cause it got so bad, he didnt bother anyone)

9. Shawnie

that is NOT the norm for GT's...but it is the norm when you have a convict pair....dont think because your GT wasnt aggressive in that small of a tank, with a pair of cons, that the GT isnt mean..he didnt stand a chance in a 20g high tank

10. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

A jellybean Parrot is one that was dyed, right? I read they don't get as large as a normal Parrot. I got him about 5 years ago and he was dark green. Now he's faded and is reddish/pink color. If I had known about the coloring process I wouldn't have purchased him. He's doing fine though.

I don't have a good picture of him, here's the best I have.

127.jpg

I have a lot more fake plants now though. I have a bunch of tall plants right in the middle of the tank to act as a kind of divider.

11. Shawnie

great tank pic!! thanks for sharing!! but no a jelly bean parrot is a combo of a pink convict male and a blood red parrot female.....they do stay smaller because of the con being the dad...your parrot is just a dyed parrot which means he will get his regular size...which is very large...ive seen them the size of softballs if not bigger....so you need to make some decisions as the fish you have, cannot make it in the 55g tank you have them in :(

12. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

I vote you keep the Oscar too. Oscars are awesome and although they can look big and intimidating, among other similar sized cichlids they are usually the least aggressive. I say boot the GT (even though they are nice looking fish).

13. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

I know, that's why I got him because he looked great. I guess that's the problem with most of the colorful freshwater fish, they can be mean. I'll try to take some pics after dinner.

14. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

Looks like my Jack has a nip or two. I'm going to see about bringing the GT back.

My Parrot though likes to chase the GT around though.

15. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

The Parrot is definitely chasing the GT all around the tank. In the past few days the Parrot has developed a bunch of black marks all over his body and fins. Research leads me to believe that this color change is due to stress.

I have since divided the tank with some hard plastic sheets full of holes. The GT is in about 1/4 of the tank with everyone else on the other side. The Oscar is still in QT and is still not well. His fins seem to be doing better and his wounds seem to be healing but he's still kind of just sitting there on the bottom. I was doing 50% water changes daily but didn't do it the last day or two. I went to check on him today and most readings were fine but the ph was in the low 6's. I did a 50% change and so far he seems to be doing a little better than a few hours ago. Everytime I do a water cahnge I add some more stress coat. Is there any timeline on when my Oscar might be able to go back in the tank? IT was a week ago today he went to the QT.

16. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

In all honesty your tank simply isn't large enough for all of those fish. There will be severe aggression issues not matter what you do or how compatablie the fish are. The tank is big enough for one Oscar on it's own & even then that is only just big enough. Same for the GT. One GT by itself with no tankmates & again the tank is only just big enough. I'm not vary familiar with the needs of Parrots but I think they are the same again, one with no tankmates. You could probably get away with the JD & 2-4 Silver Dollars. Even those options rely on excellent filtration & frequent water changes. IMO your only & best option is to get rid of some fish. For all of the stock you currently have, no less than 180gal would do IMO.

17. Shawnie

+2 the advice isnt going to change here whether you have dividers or not :( sorry to say nutter is very correct ....a much bigger tank is so needed for those fin babies to live happily!

18. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

Oh, the divider is only temporary until I can get a chance to talk with my LFS. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the above post. lol

I want happy fish and just looking at the GT in that small of a space isn't making ME happy so I'm sure HE'S not happy either.

19. OP
    OP
    cm11599ps

It's been 8 days since Oscar got attacked and then put in the QT. I've been changing 50% of the water almost daily and adding stress coat. For the most part, his fins seem to be back to normal except his tail fine which is missing about 1/4 of the rear/top. The damage on his body seems to be pretty much healed too. Most of the time I look in the QT he is just sitting at the bottom of the tank under the filter. He may swim around briefly but not much.

Any idea how long this may take?

20. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

It could take several weeks maybe even a month or more before his fins heal up properly. If the damage was very bad then they may never fully heal. Also if the beating was very bad then he may never mentally recover either. If the QT tank is very small (under20gal) then it is going to be feeling very stressed & not want to move around very much at all. Putting it back in the main tank won't help either as it will feel intimidated & just hide. The other fish may never allow it back in the tank again either. They might just right back to beating it up.