Poor neon :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ashleyb, Jul 4, 2016.

1. ashleyb

ashleybValued MemberMember

I just came home from 4th of July festivities and went to feed my tanks.. And noticed a huge chunk missing out of the middle/back end body of one of my neon tetras. Part of his scales actually bunch up behind it. To me it looks like a pretty serious injury, but I have NO IDEA how it could have happened. In the past week I moved all my other fish to a larger tank and the neons are the single only fish in the (39 gallon) tank right now, other than a handful of snails. He has lost a great deal of color.. His red under belly is really pale. He seems to be able to swim alright but he kind of sits dormant, he's not moving around much. He looks like he's in pain.. The only abrasive object I have in the tank is a large lava rock, but I'm having a hard time understanding how he'd injure that particular part of his body on it. Should I wait a few days and see how he does? Should I euthanize him? I've only ever had to euthanize a fish one time (using the clove oil method) and I'm still traumatized.. I've attached a picture although it's almost impossible to really see the severity of the wound. They move around so quickly and any time I come up to the tank they get spooked and pal up..

Any ideas how I can help this little guy? :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Protim Sarkar

Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

Do you have a quarantine tank ? You can put it in it with a filter and some healthy foods.
    You can wait if it overcomes the pain.

3. Secret OasisValued MemberMember

I feel like the little guy would get stressed out getting moved to a quarantine tank since its a schooling fish. you can add prime or stress coat to help things along

4. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

I did move him to a QT, the picture was taken before I did. I feel bad removing him from the school, but I can't risk it being something other than an injury (although I'm almost positive it is - does not look bacterial or fungal and you can literally see where there is a gash in his side..) and him possibly infecting other fish. I just wonder how it happened.. He didn't eat tonight and is just feeling crummy. I have him in QT with a heater and a spare filter I keep running in my other tanks so I don't have to worry about a cycle. The rest is up to him.. But personally this doesn't look like a sustainable injury. I'll be removing the lava rock from the community tank seeing as that's the only culprit I could possibly see. But it's been in there for months and I've used lava rocks in all my tanks with no injuries.. Sigh.

Hoping he pulls through, but I'm not optimistic. :(

5. Secret OasisValued MemberMember

6. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

No, aquarium salt is known to raise the GH in your water, which is not something neon tetras tolerate well. Aside from that the benefits and effectiveness of aquarium salt are wildly debated in the aqua culture. Right now he's in a 10g QT with nothing but daily water changes for him. He didn't look any worse (or any better) this morning but I'm going to give it 24 hours and take it from there. Thank you for the advice.

7. Secret OasisValued MemberMember

Ooh i actually learned something new thanks ^.^ id love to keep updated on his progress

8. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

He's still hanging in there! He seems lonely but he ate last night. Rooting for the little guy.

9. Guppy Horses

Guppy HorsesValued MemberMember

10. OP
    OP
    ashleyb

Update: Little Guy has surprisingly pulled through! I added him back to the community tank yesterday and he seems really happy to have his pals back. I honestly didn't think he'd survive this injury. I'm watching him cautiously for any signs of a secondary infection but all seems good for now. I can't believe he survived that. I'm so happy guys!

11. Protim Sarkar

Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

He made it !

12. Secret OasisValued MemberMember

Yay thats great to hear

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice