Poor misunderstood Bettas :(

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here's two kinda sad experiences from my LFS last week.

I went to Pet Barn to buy some blood worm as I was nearly out. While I was there I checked out the fish and saw that they were nearly out of bettas.

Apparently a woman had bought 40 bettas for her wedding. They were going to be in little vases on the tables at the reception.
OMG!!!!!
So... these fish are going to be used as decoration, unlikely properly cared for, then they're going to be a feature at a party? I dunno but multiple vases containing water and fish with drunk people doesn't sound good to me. And where will they go AFTER the wedding? I remember at my last one they had little flower pots which people from the table could take home. So these 40bettas are likely to be homed with ignorant new fish keepers? POOR BABIES!!!

And then on Friday... Ok, so I forgot to take the bloodworm from my handbag so it defrosted and went nasty so I went to a store close to home for more. So I'm waiting at the counter and this young boy (15yo?new worker) is bagging up a fighting fish for a woman and her teenage son(17yo?). And the woman makes this comment about how they already had a fighting fish but they thought he was lonely so they were going to buy him a friend. The one in the bag. The staff member says "You know they fight, right?" and she's like "Oh do they? Well I guess they can just go in together and we'll see what happens."

And of course I pipe up.
Me "Are you buying a fighting fish to go with another fighting fish?"
Her "Yes. Is that bad?"
Me "Well, they fight to the death normally"
Her "Oh so they're named fighting fish for a reason"
Me "They're extremely agressive with their own kind. They're sometimes ok male to female, and female to female, but never male to male. You're better off getting snails."
Her "Oh I don't like snails. So they'll fight to the death?"
Staff member and me "Yes"
Her "Oh well we'll just see what happens and if one dies, then we'll just keep the one that lives"
Me "If one looks like it's being beaten up, you can keep it in a large vase or bowl. It's not the best but it's better than it dying"
Her "Oh no that won't matter. Either they'll get along or we'll just keep one"
And off she goes!

RIP poor Betta.

If it was me I so wouldn't have sold them that fish.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thats so terrible! I can't believe that woman bought that betta even after you told her how they will fight to the death! Just so the other one could "have a friend" even though they WILL kill each other. Awww I feel so bad for that betta! Also 40 bettas for wedding decorations??? I wonder what will happen to them after the wedding. A few are bound to get knocked over by drunk people and little kids. Those bettas are doomed. You should move this to the betta section of the forum you will get a lot more responses and I'm sure there is a lot of people who would love to give their opinion of this

timmygt33

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Use the newspaper and find all the weddings for this weekend and see if you can track them down and if you see if you can save them or at least see if they will return them to the shop.

I know 40 bettas is a lot but even if you can get them for free or cheap as after the wedding, them maybe you could be the betta saviour for the day!

Good luck, i will be watching this thread closely, hoping for a good outcome.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I saw this sign at a pet sore today when I went to buy some Prime. I'm new to fish keeping and have never owned bettas but this didn't seem correct. Can someone clarify?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That is...somewhat true. Bettas do prefer little or no current, but this doesn't mean they can live without filtration. A filter flow diffuser, stickied on the DIY section of the forum, is ideal for betta owners.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Lyl,

Well, you tried and spoke up and I applaud you for that
Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, well done for saying something, you did your best, some people are just ignorant...
I however am a little more opinionated and may have said it was akin to putting her in the ring with Mike Tyson, but to be honest, that wouldn't have worked either!

The sign is correct, but elodea makes a good point too. I am just shocked that the tubs they are in are so big, it's usually drinking cups so small they can't even straighten out!! Well it is at the LFS near me, when they are shipped to the actual pet stores, they're in tanks.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately I have no room for any more fish in my house

However this weekend, I may be cleaning out the spare room at my parents house, which i can stuff with fish. Though it is the hottest room in the house, I don't think there's anything wrong with 4x 300L cichlid tanks! Then I can move my bedroom tank and have a ton of bettas :3

On the betta side, both mine HATE filters, (cept for sleeping on) but Howl loves it when I change the water. He purposely sits under the flow of water. I made a game of making him chase the siphoning hose as I put water back in ;P

And he loves ice. Pushes it around the surface.

The LFS the 40 for the wedding came from really looks after their bettas. They all get proper tanks with filters. The other one has maybe 5 in display tanks, the rest hidden on a little shelf behind the counter in assorted jars. My third LFS keeps their bettas in little barracks or in with fish like angels and gouramis. The bettas in their communals have had their tails torn off, and 95% of the ones in the barracks have fin rot. I nearly bought every betta there last week

Last edited:

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Having 6 bettas of my own. It really gets to me when people do this kind of stuff.

I was at the Wal-mart and came across two bettas in a single container. Some one had put them in there to watch them right. There were fins everywhere. I put the one back into it's container and separated them.

I remember being so ticked off. I was ready to start a little fighting display myself, if I could have found the person/persons who put the bettas together.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ZOMG I would have written a major complaint and put a letter to the editor of the local newspaper.

I keep looking for a job at my LFS. I already have a full time job but I'd work free at my LFS on weekends just to make sure the animals are actually CARED for.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom