Poor Little Twitchy

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can someone take a look at my poor little Twitchy. Something just seems off about her lately. For some reason her deformity is slowing her down way more than it used to. Does anyone think there is some disease at work?
20180427_002414.jpg
20180427_002356.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m blind so describe the deformity for me? How old? What kind of fish is Twitchy? And of course have your water parameters been ok?

@scarface can you tell me what this darling is and what it’s deformity is?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gypsy13 said:
@scarface can you tell me what this darling is and what it’s deformity is?
It appears to be a very bad spinal deformity. It looks like a guppy, but I’m not sure. Not sure what the disease is either, if there is one. Nothing stands out to me, but it does look quite pale. It could be old age. From what the OP wrote, it sounds like it’s been doing okay with the deformity for a while until recently.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
scarface said:
It appears to be a very bad spinal deformity. It looks like a guppy, but I’m not sure. Not sure what the disease is either, if there is one. Nothing stands out to me, but it does look quite pale. It could be old age. From what the OP wrote, it sounds like it’s been doing okay with the deformity for a while until recently.
Thank you! Spinal deformity can cause issues with internal organs as they age. Their lifespan is cut short. If nothing has changed with water quality or stress, it could be Twitchy is just running out of time. Keeping the water as pristine as possible and not over feeding will help. I wish I knew for sure what kind of fish it is. Some salt in a bath may help some but it may also stress her more. Depending on tankmates, the OP could add salt to the water. I will await further info. Thanks again Scarface! Your eyes are most welcome.

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi All,

I saw that she was pale myself and I was worried that she looked blurry (afraid of velvet) She is in fact a guppy, I don't think she is very old.. probably less than a year, but who knows. Until very recently she was a fairly active swimmer. But she has now slowed down. I was thinking that the males may be chasing her more often as she is the easiest for them to catch. She is swimming in a school with the other females right now. as far as I know, the deformity is since birth.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AQUA_LOVER said:
Hi All,

I saw that she was pale myself and I was worried that she looked blurry (afraid of velvet) She is in fact a guppy, I don't think she is very old.. probably less than a year, but who knows. Until very recently she was a fairly active swimmer. But she has now slowed down. I was thinking that the males may be chasing her more often as she is the easiest for them to catch. She is swimming in a school with the other females right now. as far as I know, the deformity is since birth.
She’s a special guppy! What else do you have in the tank?

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 6 Julii cories, 3 long fin salt and Peppers, some Amano shrimp, 2 BNP, a harem of platys but no male at the moment, Twitchys sisters, 2 orange male guppies and a few second generation guppys. I am really pleased with how the second generation ones are looking. I also have some CRS that are in a quarantine net waiting for their 10 gal to stop being used as a QT. this is of course 3 batches of quarantine later so...

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AQUA_LOVER said:
I have 6 Julii cories, 3 long fin salt and Peppers, some Amano shrimp, 2 BNP, a harem of platys but no male at the moment, Twitchys sisters, 2 orange male guppies and a few second generation guppys. I am really pleased with how the second generation ones are looking. I also have some CRS that are in a quarantine net waiting for their 10 gal to stop being used as a QT. this is of course 3 batches of quarantine later so...
How big is the aquarium? Sounds like a houseful. I can just hear the CRS holding tiny little metal cups crying “we want out! We want out!”lol

How is Twitchy doing. What do her fins and scales look like?

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gypsy13 said:
How big is the aquarium? Sounds like a houseful. I can just hear the CRS holding tiny little metal cups crying “we want out! We want out!”lol

How is Twitchy doing. What do her fins and scales look like?
It is a 46 bow front. I am still worried about twitchy. She is hiding a lot which is not normal for her.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AQUA_LOVER said:
It is a 46 bow front. I am still worried about twitchy. She is hiding a lot which is not normal for her.
Is anyone else acting strange to you?

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gypsy13 said:
Is anyone else acting strange to you?
Not really. I had 2 platys with clamped fins and had lost a lot of weight, but they seem to be on the mend.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check when you can just to make sure there’s nothing changing. If everything is ok and everyone else is fine, it may just be her deformity catching up to her. With the spinal deformity like hers, it’s hard for them to survive their first year so you’ve done wonders with her.
Let us know what you find when you check your water again. Thinking positive.

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gypsy13 said:
Check when you can just to make sure there’s nothing changing. If everything is ok and everyone else is fine, it may just be her deformity catching up to her. With the spinal deformity like hers, it’s hard for them to survive their first year so you’ve done wonders with her.
Let us know what you find when you check your water again. Thinking positive.
I just did a water change yesterday the biggest change is I added some RO water, but that is after I noticed her symptoms

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FeederGuppies said:
In the first photo it looks like she could possibly have some fungus on her back, but it could just be the lighting. Could you try to get a clearer picture of her back?
She is eating. I hope this is a better picture. Since I had her, I put her in a tank with a pseudomugil that I am treating with kanamycin for a fungus near his dorsal fin.
1524978520863.jpg

So just took a really good look through my tank. One of my pseudomugils is gone... I think that I found some bones that the amanos picked clean. The last remaining pseudo had an open mouth today. I caught him to look if he had something stuck, but I think I might have killed him in the process. I put him back in, but he seems to have be bent at his mid point almost like an r. Hopefully he is doing better tomorrow.

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AQUA_LOVER said:
So just took a really good look through my tank. One of my pseudomugils is gone... I think that I found some bones that the amanos picked clean. The last remaining pseudo had an open mouth today. I caught him to look if he had something stuck, but I think I might have killed him in the process. I put him back in, but he seems to have be bent at his mid point almost like an r. Hopefully he is doing better tomorrow.
So the peusodomugil recovered from the stress of my inspection, but his mouth is still open. I can tell that he wants to eat as he does chase food in the tank. I hope that it is simply an injury that has to heal. Are pseudos mostly wild caught? I have been having bad luck with them.

I came home from work today and found Twitchy had passed. I am sad as she was a good little fish. I haven't told my wife yet as I know that it will crush her.

I have a collection of fish in the freezer that I will be burying in the garden soon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom